Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Graphics Card Installation Help PLEASE

sometimes the [censored] i read in this forum makes me cringe. PCI video cards haven't been the norm for like 5-6 years.

like paulie said, give a description of the slot. chances are, its a 1x pcie slot if its not an agp slot that you aren't moving the latch on.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sometimes the [censored] i read in this forum makes me cringe. PCI video cards haven't been the norm for like 5-6 years.

like paulie said, give a description of the slot. chances are, its a 1x pcie slot if its not an agp slot that you aren't moving the latch on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno man I might prop bet you on this one. I've been building my own PCs for about 5 years now and was somewhat stunned by this thread:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rt=all&vc=1

OP bought a 'Dell 2007fp' that has onboard video and only 3 pci slots. The pic he posted is below. I would bet pci over 3 year old compaq having pci-e. Hopefully OP can either post a pic or track down his MB specs.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:09 AM

Well the wiki on pci-e says its been out since 2004 which is a bit longer then I thought. *shug* well, we will see what OP says. If OP purchased a cheaper compaq three years ago, a pci video card wouldn't really surprise me given the example of the dell above.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:08 AM

you guys sure are dumb if you honestly think that a Compaq computer from 3 years ago might not have a PCI-E card. Probably half retail computer are sold without anything but PCI slots because they are bargain PC's.

Although, I agree there is a small chance he might have one...but without specifications on his make/model, we can't look up information on his motherboard.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:31 PM

The reason I scoff at PCI, is that the OP said he removed his existing card. Had OP said "I had onboard video," I would agree that he probably has no video option other than PCI.

If I were to bet and his information was accurate, I think he has AGP and either has a card that is physically too large for the case or he didn't unlatch the tail key of the AGP slot.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I scoff at PCI, is that the OP said he removed his existing card. Had OP said "I had onboard video," I would agree that he probably has no video option other than PCI.

If I were to bet and his information was accurate, I think he has AGP and either has a card that is physically too large for the case or he didn't unlatch the tail key of the AGP slot.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's all possible, we won't know until he tells us a model number of either the system or the mobo.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:35 PM

OP,

Post a picture of the inside of your computer if possible.