Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Whatever happened to the David Sklansky Challenge?

lol @ people trying to f w/ the sklansky fanbois.
their heads are to far up their asses to open their ears and listen to other people's opinions.

gl though.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:18 PM

That would be fine if knowledge of theoretic math (as opposed to skill at applied math) were of interest. However, scores on the Putnam exam do not distribute nicely for the purpose of resolving the bet, as 0 is the mode (a similar problem to 800 being the mode on the GRE math for smart people).
Old 02-27-2007, 07:44 PM

ya I would be willing to do any test. If it's the GRE I would like to include the verbal portion to REALLY pwn sklansky, prove Sklansky is an arrogant snob with regards to people of faith, and besides I really could use the money.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That would be fine if knowledge of theoretic math (as opposed to skill at applied math) were of interest. However, scores on the Putnam exam do not distribute nicely for the purpose of resolving the bet, as 0 is the mode (a similar problem to 800 being the mode on the GRE math for smart people).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would take my score against David Sklansky's on the Putnam for pretty much any amount of money (I scored over 40 in my second year of university, probably around 50-60 this year and can definitely do 60-80 on a good day). Of course I have 800/800/800/850+ SAT1/SAT2/GREq/GREs standardized test scores.

I suspect that for the purposes of this challenge, the GRE Subject math test is quite sufficient, as getting 45/60 questions right on it is about 95th percentile (among a highly self selected group). It is definitely time constrained and it would be even harder if you removed the multiple choice answers where possible.

Polygraph test probably disqualifies me though, although my parents certainly tried their best to raise me religious. This probably proves Sklansky's point, although I don't agree with it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2007, 08:14 PM

Let me be the first to say i will absolutely, completely, for any amount of money, never take you up on this offer.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:32 PM

Didn't sheets take him up on this offer?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:44 PM

I'd be more interested in a knife fight.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:46 PM

I think the AHSME is a much better test of mathematical intelligence. You don't need years of college math to take it (it only goes through pre-calc), but it fairly accurately measures the differences between people at very advanced levels. It's mostly honors students who take it and the average score is 85/150, with a standard deviation around 9. I believe it's supposed to be pretty precise as well, as the standard deviation for an individual's score is something like 2.5.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the AHSME is a much better test of mathematical intelligence. You don't need years of college math to take it (it only goes through pre-calc), but it fairly accurately measures the differences between people at very advanced levels. It's mostly honors students who take it and the average score is 85/150, with a standard deviation around 9. I believe it's supposed to be pretty precise as well, as the standard deviation for an individual's score is something like 2.5.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't exist anymore (it's the AMC 12 now). The AIME, which is 15 questions, with numerical answers between 0 and 999, is better inasmuch as there is more room for superior mathematical ability to manifest itself and also less throwaway questions (as well as no calculators).
Old 02-27-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't exist anymore (it's the AMC 12 now). The AIME, which is 15 questions, with numerical answers between 0 and 999, is better inasmuch as there is more room for superior mathematical ability to manifest itself and also less throwaway questions (as well as no calculators).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, it was called the AHSME when I was in school, but it looks like it's exactly the same test. I think it's better than the AIME as far as testing general mathematical intelligence. The AIME is more for serious math nerds, plus there's too much variance among people who aren't total geniuses, since their scores will usually be somewhere in the range of 1 to 4 (out of 15). And just like more advanced math tests, it tends to reward really esoteric math skill, rather than just strong fundamental analytical ability.