Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 02:14 PM

Default I want to key in on one discipline, and stop bouncing around. Ideas?

I am an above average poker player and have made enough money in the past to support myself over the past three winters without having to work. I worked a seasonal position while going to college and played poker in the winter. My main problem has been not focusing in on one aspect, and of course tilting.

I think I have gotten over the tilt factor, but I want to hone in on one aspect and become very good at it. I think full ring limit is almost worthless online now when compared to live, so thats out. Mtts have way to much variance, so that is out to.

My choices are: limit 6max, NL 6max and FR, and SNGs. I may also throw in some O8 for variety now and then. However, of the above three which one should I focus on and try to be an expert in? I realize NL is the rage right now, but will that hold up? Also I know that limit 6max and SNGs aren't offered live...but then again neither is NL 6max.

I am a winning limit FR player, having played a lot of live games. I have built my bankrolls up many different times through SNGs. If I go the 6max limit route I will buy the Dave Fromm DVDs and his forthcoming book with Ray Zee. If I go the NL route, I will buy the new Miller; et al book that is coming out and the Rolf Slotboom DVds. If I choose SNGs, I will play with ICM until I know it front to back.

The thing is I am on the career hunt, so I don't have time to try and master all three. I want to be as good as possible at one aspect and specialize in it. Mind you this is not trying to be a "pro" or anything. Basically I have some free time in between interviews to concentrate on poker. Any advice?
Old 02-27-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: I want to key in on one discipline, and stop bouncing around. Ideas?

NL 6max
NL wont die dont worry about that. If poker withers away NL will be the last to go
Old 02-27-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: I want to key in on one discipline, and stop bouncing around. Ide

I like your focus and your approach. As far as advice, I say follow what you are most passionate about and you'll be successful. BTW - what is ICM?

Michael
Old 02-27-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: I want to key in on one discipline, and stop bouncing around. Ideas?

If you keep records, look to see what game you have the best performance with. Also, keep in mind which one you enjoy playing the most, if you are going to limit yourself to one game. Hope this helps, somewhat. GL
Old 02-28-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If poker withers away NL will be the first to go

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-28-2007, 07:22 PM

Thanks to those that have responded, although this forum is a little dead I guess. I was expecting a few more ideas, but I am still thinking. I am leaning right now towards NL-6max or Limit 6max.