Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Default 2/5 NL - Flop TPTK on paired board, raised allin

Live 2/5 NL - 10 players

I was just moved to this table and had only been there for about 1.5 orbits. I'm in the bb and villain is in the CO. It's folded around to villain who raises $25. Villain has me covered (about triple my stack and one of the 2 biggest stacks at the table) and he hasn't done anything out of line my brief time at the table. My first instinct is that he's using his position and is probably raising light.

The button and sb fold and it's on me. My stack is around $450. I have A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I decide to raise to $75. If villain folds to my raise, I'll be happy to take down the pot preflop. If villain raises, I can safely fold, as I don't want to play for my stack OOP with AQ when I don't have adequate information about villain. Villian decides to call so now we'll play poker.

The flop comes: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($152 in pot)

I love the flop, and I bet $100. Villain doesn't hesitate whatsoever and goes allin. Now what do I do? I have like $275 left, and there is now $627 in the pot so I'm getting an excellent price, but what hands do I beat? There are no draws on the board. Only a donkey would try and raise me allin here with a hand worse than TPGK due to my stack size, and I have yet to verify that villain's a donkey (at this point I'm leaning towards he's not a donkey). KQ/QJs are the only hands I can beat that I'm putting villain on (if he was a donkey I could add AK and JJ), but it's just as likely he has AA/KK and the offchance he has QQ. But then I remember he might of been raising light preflop, so I guess he could have a hand like A7/K7, or maybe even 87s/76s.

As I'm going through the villain's possible holdings in my head, I'm observing his behavior, and he seems pretty relaxed and does not at any point attempt to stare me down. Eventually he starts chatting to his neighbor a little bit about something totally unrelated, and he does not appear to be acting whatsoever.

Do you call and hope the villain is a donkey, or do you fold and wait for a better spot?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: 2/5 NL - Flop TPTK on paired board, raised allin

[ QUOTE ]
As I'm going through the villain's possible holdings in my head, I'm observing his behavior, and he seems pretty relaxed and does not at any point attempt to stare me down. Eventually he starts chatting to his neighbor a little bit about something totally unrelated, and he does not appear to be acting whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without some read on him from before knowing he's an actor this is enough info for me. I'd dump it.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:56 PM

Would I be a Wuss if I said I would have likely dumped preflop to the $25 raise w/o a read. I played a B&M game last weekend where there were 2 players at the table where a raise like that meant AA or KK. Granted it was in a smaller stakes game, but I saw that exact play from them made about 6 times through the night and saw them play few other hands without limping. That said, there were 3 other players at the table that I would have definitely played exactly like you did and called with TPTK because I witnessed them pull this move with less than top pair(JJ, TT, AK, etc) as well as straight bluffs. It seems the more I learn the more conditional my thoughts around this type of play becomes. I figure if the guy turns out to be a real donk, I will get another shot at him, especially if he is pushing in so easily.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:07 PM

I lead the league in getting stacked w/ TPTK and overpairs, so listen to me on this one; FOLD. Just let it go. Be thankful that someone who has you way covered plays this way. There will be other hands...