Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Re: How great is Dewey Tomko?

He's a massive degen, but tight as hell at poker.

Odd guy...
Old 02-26-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he was more interested in the football bets he had going at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging by his interview, I think that's a fair statement.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:49 PM

I like the way that WPT and WSOP play him up as someone who was an elementary school teacher when in fact he has been one sick gambooler for years. Who'd of known if you just watched TV. From a fanboy perspective, has to move up into the top 5 favorites of mine.

NCAces
Old 02-26-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IIRC, it was Dewey Tomko who exposed Larry Flynt's WSOP cheating several years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

story? did a quick google found nada [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know he once tried to pay off a final table so he could get a bracelet. I suppose that technically is cheating, even though it decreases your expectation and increases everyone else's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt Varkhoni allegedly do the same in the heads up stage with Julian Gardener?

[/ QUOTE ]

attempting to chop or work out a deal when it's heads up is a little different than trying to buy off an entire final table so you can win the bracelet.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:44 PM

Thanks guys. Great stuff--Cardplayer's interview is a hoot. Gold mines and orange groves and sick sports bets and high stakes golf and a $50,000 coin flip and a $20,000 three pointer by Phil Ivey--its all gold!
Old 07-07-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He made the final table of the 50K HORSE event also so if that means anything toward the "greatness" barometer...

[/ QUOTE ]
He's the tightest player I have ever seen, perfect for that event. Far from great, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously this guy. does not know what he is talking about. Not only is all the previous stuff mostly true, but not too many people probally know. He was the number 1 ranked player in the world in the early to mid 80's. Many people also forget that the great players like him, doyle, chip, and others. Made alot more money on side games than in tournament play. The real great players like those mentioned. Would still to this day and any other day whip any of your tv heroes in a side game. Infact alot of your top tournament players. Like negraeu, hanson, matusow, and others. Do play in side games and most of them get there asses handed to them. especially when they play players like that. the money u see players winning on tournaments. sooner or later the good players win that money any way. any player can get lucky and win a tournament, but those same players will never profit in a side game against real talent. Also realize that Dewey Tomko will eventually be a Hall of Famer too. 1 of the greatest side game players ever, Should be 2 time world champion, More WSOP's than anybody, Number 1 ranked tounament player in the world for atleast 2 or 3 years in the mid 80's (remember he also stopped playing alot from 87 to late 90's. So he could raise his family and children), Top 20 all time in money in WSOP, Very well respected thru out the whole industry, Has won a major tounamnent in now 4 different decades, Considered by many as the best gambling golfer ever, Has never had any bad habits other than gambling, and many other very respectable attributes to his name. Yea I would have to say the word great if anything is an understatemnet. If u ask me that is? Basically most people only see the people winning tournaments and talking a whole bunch of BS. They dont know that the great players still alot of times end up with those idiots money anyways, but all the time when they have the balls to sit at a real game w those players. About him being a tight player. Anybody that knows anything will tell u. That u can not be successfull at side games playing like Hanson, Negeau, Moneymaker (LOL), and many others that play and win like that in tounaments. Brunson, Reese, Tomko, Chan, and others All of these players are tight in there own way. And they will all kick the whole worlds ass in side games aka (real poker).
Old 07-07-2007, 02:54 PM

Amarillo Slim told me Dewey was the best all-around gambler he'd ever met. On a personal note, Dewey's a terrific guy to talk to.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He made the final table of the 50K HORSE event also so if that means anything toward the "greatness" barometer...

[/ QUOTE ]
He's the tightest player I have ever seen, perfect for that event. Far from great, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously this guy. does not know what he is talking about. Not only is all the previous stuff mostly true, but not too many people probally know. He was the number 1 ranked player in the world in the early to mid 80's. Many people also forget that the great players like him, doyle, chip, and others. Made alot more money on side games than in tournament play. The real great players like those mentioned. Would still to this day and any other day whip any of your tv heroes in a side game. Infact alot of your top tournament players. Like negraeu, hanson, matusow, and others. Do play in side games and most of them get there asses handed to them. especially when they play players like that. the money u see players winning on tournaments. sooner or later the good players win that money any way. any player can get lucky and win a tournament, but those same players will never profit in a side game against real talent. Also realize that Dewey Tomko will eventually be a Hall of Famer too. 1 of the greatest side game players ever, Should be 2 time world champion, More WSOP's than anybody, Number 1 ranked tounament player in the world for atleast 2 or 3 years in the mid 80's (remember he also stopped playing alot from 87 to late 90's. So he could raise his family and children), Top 20 all time in money in WSOP, Very well respected thru out the whole industry, Has won a major tounamnent in now 4 different decades, Considered by many as the best gambling golfer ever, Has never had any bad habits other than gambling, and many other very respectable attributes to his name. Yea I would have to say the word great if anything is an understatemnet. If u ask me that is? Basically most people only see the people winning tournaments and talking a whole bunch of BS. They dont know that the great players still alot of times end up with those idiots money anyways, but all the time when they have the balls to sit at a real game w those players. About him being a tight player. Anybody that knows anything will tell u. That u can not be successfull at side games playing like Hanson, Negeau, Moneymaker (LOL), and many others that play and win like that in tounaments. Brunson, Reese, Tomko, Chan, and others All of these players are tight in there own way. And they will all kick the whole worlds ass in side games aka (real poker).

[/ QUOTE ]

Dewey?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:21 PM

It's either Dewey or one of his boys. 863 is the area code in Winter Haven. I actually used to be in the same class as one of the Tomko boys. LOL Wouldn't surprise me if it was one of them defending their dad.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 PM

He seems like the kind of guy I'd like to hear poker/gambling stories from, but as far as trying to emulate his style of play, he's come off as a meganit every hand I've seen him play on TV.