Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 08:15 AM

Default Re: 3/6: 27K hands stat review. Can you spot any huge leaks?

Your blind play needs to improve. You're folding too much in the BB heads up with position -- 56% is too high. You should gradually increase the hands you defend here until you reach a level that your're comfortable with. My folded to BB steal stat HU stat is 36%, (and my BB loss / hand is -.15 which I need to improve but -.23 is a very big loss for this position).

Aside from this, you can probably benefit from checking behind on a some flops and betting a few more rivers (I know this is too general and probably doesn't help that much).
Old 02-25-2007, 08:29 AM

I´m not really fond of giving you advice here. There are players playing much higher than me that would say I´m totally wrong.
But I do think that in loose games at 5/10 and down I´m really not that fond of reraising from SB to get HU if I don´t think I have a much greater hand than the preflop raiser.
Sure you are driving BB out but that is more vital if BB is a good player than if he is bad. Partly because the bad player sometimes cold calling two anyway, and partly because a bad player probably also pay you off sometimes.

I also do think that the by far most important benefit of raising in Hold EM is that we´re getting folding equity by taking the initiative.Raising hands for pure pot equity is not at all as important since the flop changes hand values drastically.

At low limits however we don´t get much folding equity (in terms of folding a better hand somewhere along the way)and playing OOP UI from SB after taking the initiative is a disaster for all average poker players.
And I also think that it is a fact that if we hit a good hand we win as much, if not more against most opponents if we hadn´t reraised preflop.

And of course all the thoughts i had about positions importance in BB defence when we determine "real" pot equity can be applied on SB defence.

I don´t know if I remember right but I think it was Sweetjazz that said "You can´t fold too much from SB" and I totally agree. At least when it comes to playing 5/10 and below
Old 02-25-2007, 10:24 AM

so what Hands do you reraise in sb?
Depends on the button?

So do you fold reraise or call with A4s against a 30% stealer, what with with TJs? What with A9o?

thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 10:30 AM

I fold everyone. If they´re not weak or bad postflop. Then
I reraise A4s, call JTs and fold A9o
Old 02-25-2007, 08:02 PM

favoring A9o over A4s can't be right in a short handed pot.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold everyone. If they´re not weak or bad postflop. Then
I reraise A4s, call JTs and fold A9o

[/ QUOTE ]

how can u not 3bet A9o vs a button stealer? I dont reraise A4s A7 or so seems about right i duno though kinda depends on how they are post flop like u said. I wouldnt call JTs in the sb unless the BB was terrible. Ill 3bet JTs or T9s vs many stealers I regularly play partially for metagame partially cuz i like to and partially cuz they end up making lots of mistakes later on vs me becuz of it.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:16 PM

Actually I was posting this in a rush
I don´t fold A9o against bad loose player. Just against most Good tags. I believe that position is eating up all my preflop equity when I reraise A9o against a good TAG. I will almost never fold out a better hand and will often have to pay offa better hand.
Maybe I´m wrong about reraising with A4s but straight and flush possibilities makes it a hand that gives me more flexibility and confidence when I´m playing. while A9o easily turns into a WB/WA hand.

I think reraising JTs is a bit expensive since if we raise we are getting 7:2.5 and absolutely no showdown value. We often have to check/fold turn or river since low limit players that has preflop raised seldom folds the flop and therefore put you in an awful position playing the turn.

If we just call preflop half the time we probably will be getting 5:1.5 and we can still make plays later on in the hand with an additional information by seeing the flop texture.
And if BB gets in the hand it is no disaster.

So I think the advice would be to reraise with JTs if the button is capable of folding Kx or Ax hands on flop and calling against bad post-flop players that pay you off if you hit. Against really good players i muck JTs since I believe that you don´t make a big mistake if you fold every hand in SB to a raise except top 5%.

And I´m not saying that this is the way to play but it suits my playing style and I am showing -0.08 BB/100 long term from SB so if I´m wrong I guess not reraising many hands from SB only marginally affects my winrate.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:37 PM

My opinion on small blind play vs CO and button steals has fluctuated recently but, It mostly depends on a few factors.

I used to just not think about it and re-raise 100% of the time with a hand that warrents it, because early in my limit career I read an article my matthew hilger how it was NEVER correct to just smooth call in the small blind because you want to jam the BB out.
I think this is mostly true, but far from always.

Now MOST of the time I re-raise from the SB but now sometimes I just call if the situation is right.

The most common scenarios where I call with many hands are when the BB is either a super tight nit (<13-14 VPIP, < 9 PFR), or a very very loose player (>45 VPIP).

If they are a super tight nit, then all you have to do is call, because most of the time they're folding anyways. You can play a lot more hands because you'll likely be investing 1.5SB to play heads up against a wide range raiser in a 5SB pot which is over 2 to 1 on your money. An excellent price.

With a very loose player there are some hands you just do NOT wanting to be playing in a > 9SB 3 way pot. Especially the big/medium offsuit ace hands and the smaller pairs.
I may call with hands like AXs, but muck hands as high as A8o.

Also, it significantly decreases your chance of taking the pot down with pressure, so In some circumstance i'd rather just call with the low suited broadway hands like JTs, QJs etc.

BTW, I raise A9o vs a good tag 100% of the time from the SB vs Button. You are likely crushing his range. If an ace falls your ahead of over half the aces he is likely to play and a pair of 9's is a decent pair where you'll have him out kicked.. A8o is borderline and A7o is a muck. But this is just based on intuiton and general logic. Im not 100% sure. Not to mention just the value of initiative.
Plus, good TAG's will often CAP their powerful aces like AK/AQ and possibly AJ from this position. So if they do not cap, you can suspect that when the ace falls he's likely to be the one WB. My favorite line is
Bet, Bet, check/raise on Ace + 1 high card boards. A9o is strong enough to pull that off assuming he doesnt cap.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:13 PM

I basically agree with what you´re saying and I don´t say I´m right when I´m folding A9o.
And against a good TAG that is only raising 30% of his hands from button I think we have an +EV of 1SB if Im not remembering wrong.He is as likely as you to have the best hand because you have around 50% pot equity against his range.
Against an equally good postflop player I do think you have a very hard time keeping that 1SB+EV during the hand. I would go so far that you probably lose that EV + more if you play a 1000 hands against his range. He will win more when ahead and he will take down more hands without the best hand.He will often have an easy laydown with worse hands and seldom fold better hands. It is pretty easy for him to laydown A4 on a KQxr flop but he will still probably call flop with 66 and put you in an awful situation on turn.
And if he 3-bets AJ+ hands you have already lost some EV for example.
This is only my point of view though.