Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Pocket 8s and a set, big mistakes made?

UTG raiser's stats are 23/9.5/1 (74 hands). Should I have folded pocket 8s here against seemingly tight UTG raiser? I thought about it but then I though that if he raises big pairs AA-TT (24 combinations) and AK-AQ (32 combinations), it is still more likely that he has overcards and I have the best hand, so I didn't fold.

I caught a set and called the flop planning to raise the turn. An ace fell on the turn and he 3 bet and I capped (too aggressive?). After his river bet, should I give him credit for AA and call? Raising was probably a mistake. He must have drawn out on the turn, or could he have played AK this strongly?

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9.4SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5.7BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (13.7BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 19.7BB
Old 02-26-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Pocket 8s and a set, big mistakes made?

I would fold pf against a 9,5% raiser who raised UTG not because youre often in big trouble against his range.

I just call the River after he donks when you capped the Turn, its always hard to give poeple credit for AA but his stats doesnt make me think he would do it with anything other then AA.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:13 PM

I raise the flop because hell often 3 bet and I can still raise the turn. When you cap the turn youve shown a lot of strength and he still bets the river. I dont think you have enough equity here to raise. This looks a lot like AA to me.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:29 PM

Playing AK this strongly is possible, but when he donks into your turn cap I think you are very likely to be beaten.

The river is a bit of a spew, since after the turn and river action the only credible holding for him is AA. This is a 10% PFR UTG raiser who capped you preflop and never stopped betting. Just call this river.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just call the River after he donks when you capped the Turn, its always hard to give poeple credit for AA but his stats doesnt make me think he would do it with anything other then AA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-26-2007, 01:58 PM

No one wants to raise the flop?

I think you can get some bets in on the flop and play the turn the same. But things are looking pretty grim when he donks the river after the cap.

Depending on his reaction to your flop raise I may consider calling down the turn after the 3-bet as well.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:03 PM

Against this tight a raiser I think I can fold preflop.

You have build a big pot and have a monster so I'd just play my hand fast on the flop. The turn cap is fine IMO, but when he leads out the river I just call.