Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Lounge or Club

Anyone have any experience with owning a Lounge or a small dance club?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Lounge or Club

Location is everything.. that's really it.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Location is everything.. that's really it

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the dumbest thing I have read in a while. 99.99% of businesss location is key, but not for a club.

Who goes to a club because of it's location? No one.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:21 PM

I don't know what city you live in, but a lot of city's have specific locations w/ in them that have all the "best" clubs/bars. If you can open a bar there you'll get people coming in because of its location to other popular clubs/bars.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the dumbest thing I have read in a while. 99.99% of businesss location is key, but not for a club.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL this is probably the most insane thing I've ever read on this forum. Who goes to a club because of it's location? How about EVERYONE. Where the hell are you from. Some town with a population of 200. If you are going clubbing in San Diego you go either to Pacific Beach-Younger broke crowed or Downtown-Older people with more money to spend. Anything "club" anywhere else is only a gloriffied dive bar. Most cities are the same way. If you want to have a sucessful club then you have to go to the right location. If you want a fun bar with cheap drinks and a small dance floor then set up where ever you like.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chalk me up for the no one crowd
Old 02-26-2007, 03:05 AM

Location isn't all that important really. I live inbetween baltimore and DC and have friends in both cities. A lot of times my DC friends will go to Baltimore to go clubbing and baltimore friends to DC. The two biggest clubs in DC, LOVE and FUR, are in the ghetto too.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL this is probably the most insane thing I've ever read on this forum. Who goes to a club because of it's location? How about EVERYONE. Where the hell are you from. Some town with a population of 200. If you are going clubbing in San Diego you go either to Pacific Beach-Younger broke crowed or Downtown-Older people with more money to spend. Anything "club" anywhere else is only a gloriffied dive bar. Most cities are the same way. If you want to have a sucessful club then you have to go to the right location. If you want a fun bar with cheap drinks and a small dance floor then set up where ever you like.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really about "where everybody goes" though is it? It's about making a large enough profit.

I'm not in that business, but I see clubs opening, and then closing again, at a fantastic rate in downtown Nashville. Club owners who have managed to stay afloat for 20 years are saying they are on a razor edge because rents have become astronomical since the downtown revival. But 'everybody goes there' so clubs always open there. Some survive, many do not.

I go to a "dive bar" nearby that's been open for 15 years. The only people who go there are from the neighborhoods, which are mid/lower income. The drinks are about the same price as downtown and his crowds seem about the same as many of the clubs I go to downtown. And I'm darn sure his rent is WAAAY less money. And he drives a real nice new truck and lives in a nice place so I guess it's doing fine.

Another club not much further away is located in an even poorer neighborhood and is "upscale". There is nothing in the area to suggest to me this would work. But again, I'm sure their rent is low. The drink prices are somewhat high, there's little traffic in the daytime. But at night and especially Thurs, fri, and sat., this place is PACKED. And with a very yuppie crowd (lots of babes, so that's why I go sometimes) that spends a lot. They seem to come from a lot of areas, and just don't feel like fighting the downtown traffic. I'm sure that bar makes good money. They opened several years back and I expect they are making it.

So sure, it's location. But it sure doesn't have to be "where everyone else is".