Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: THANKS U.S. GOVERNMENT

Congrats everyone on changing the subject from smoking. It shouldn't come as a surprise what the topic turned into.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats everyone on changing the subject from smoking. It shouldn't come as a surprise what the topic turned into.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure the thread ever changed subjects since the OP was so poorly written, no one had any idea what it was talking about.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think internet gambling was ban by the republicans

[/ QUOTE ]

Internet gambling was "banned" by both the Republicans and the Democrats. Don't try to blame one party for bipartisan legislation.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bill was sponsored by a Republican, co-sponsored by a Republican. Signed into law by Republican president. It was attached to a safe port bill knowing that if a Dem voting against it they could scream the Dems do not care about national security.

trying to define that as bipartisan is not even close to correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

To say that both democrats and republicans supported the bill would be the most correct of all statements. It's a very very bad idea to believe that elected representatives don't have to be held responsible for the actual votes they cast. "Implied coercion" and other intelligent sounding, generally accepted, yet crazy "political concepts" are slowly sending this country into refined fascism and it will be "nobodies fault". If you think that it's a legitimate practice for an elected official to knowingly vote the wrong way to protect their career then you've given up on democracy already. I don't believe the patriot act wasn't bipartison either. The democrats are just as responsible for infringing on our civil liberties as the republicans. As long as they can point the finger at each other all day and yell at each other on TV in front of us, they present the illusion that we're being given real choices.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure the thread ever changed subjects since the OP was so poorly written, no one had any idea what it was talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point--I withdraw my previous comment then. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Internet gambling was "banned" by both the Republicans and the Democrats. Don't try to blame one party for bipartisan legislation.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bill was sponsored by a Republican, co-sponsored by a Republican. Signed into law by Republican president. It was attached to a safe port bill knowing that if a Dem voting against it they could scream the Dems do not care about national security.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, definining it as bipartisan is exactly correct. The Democrats voted overwhelmingly in favor of it long before it was attached to the port security bill. It was attached to the port security bill because no one in the Senate was motivated to get it passed. It wasn't to "trick" the Democrats into voting for it, it was to "trick" the Senators into voting for it. If someone had had the motivation in the Senate to bring it to the floor on its own, be they Democrat or Republican, it would have received an overwhelming positive vote from both parties just like it had in the House.

Furthermore, even if it's exactly as you said and the Democrats in the Senate voted for it out of cowardice, that doesn't change a damned thing. Cowardice is not an acceptable defense for not standing up for what is right!!! If they're not willing to take a stand on what they and the people believe in, wtf are they doing representing the people? You could just as easily say that this gave them an out for not voting for what would otherwise be a "must vote for" bill. Furthermore, the real problem here is the system itself which allows laws to get passed in this way, a system which both parties have manipulated so that they can do crap like this and that makes them both responsible as well. The fact is that whenever an irrelevant rider shows up on a bill like this, every politician should be voting against it, even if they support both the main bill and the rider!!! By allowing this crap to go on, both parties have created this system and are equally responsible for the ridiculous laws that get passed thorgh it, but no... you'd rather make excuses for the Democrats to let them off the hook. That way you can convince yourself that by voting for Democrats you aren't just as much at fault for this as any anyone.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A politics thread on poker forums hijacked into a discussion on poker legislation? Yeah, no surprise there. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. Most people here are just waiting for an opportunity to make a knee-jerk flame in favour of libertarian philosophy.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That way you can convince yourself that by voting for Democrats you aren't just as much at fault for this as any anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I have never voted for a Dem president in my life. Was a Republican in the fashion of Goldwater and Regan. However, Bush ended my support of the Republican Party for some time to come. Not do to poker either, but due to Iraq and their support of the radical reliqous right.

So see I am to blame for voting for the idiot in the first place. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Will agree with you on Dems not having any balls, though.