FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: At Least Don\'t Eat Pigs?

Jonathan Swift,

A Modest Proposal.

Sound familiar..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Meh, I would eat dolphin meat if it tasted good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure it does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do cooked humans taste good too? If it turned out we had a food shortage, so that food was very expensive, and human meat was very healthy, would it be ok to harvest the chronically stupidest occupants of a mental assylum for food? Assume you can't get into any trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-25-2007, 02:44 PM

I haven't read all of the replies, so perhaps this has been brought up already, but one major factor that isn't addressed by vegetarians often enough, is that through eating animals we actually give them life.

If humans didn't eat cows, pigs, etc, then the vast majority of those species that are alive on this planet right now would not exist. This argument obviously doesn't apply to wild-caught species like a lot of seafood. If you buy the argument that some existence is better than none, and that even a life of suffering in a small pen is better than not living at all, then eating pigs can be seen as doing the entire species a favor.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:19 PM

Not sure what you mean by "health reasons" for eating meat; the health reasons usually swing to vegetarianism.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:46 PM

A life of torture and isolation only to be followed up by slaughter at the hands of some redneck in a dirty, bloody slaughterhouse is not better than no existence at all. That same argument could be used to justify any form of slavery or torture or whatever. If someone is born into slavery, isn't that better than not being born at all? We're doing the slave a favor by breeding him in the first place. What a stupid argument. And as for human pleasure being the overriding consideration, that's typical human egocentrism that will eventually lead to the complete distruction of the environment and the world in general. You should all look into a philosophy called Utilitarianism. Your goal should be to decrease the total amount of pain in the world and increase the amount of pleasure. The pleasure you get from eating that animal is outweighed by the amount of pain and suffering he feels.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:54 PM

Obviously it was "exception" rather than "acception." I was tired...
Old 02-25-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensive_pig_farming

people have a huge disconnect when it comes to meat. they dont think about where it actually comes from. if all people actually spent time in a pig farm and witnessed how they were raised and slaughtered and saw that they are as intelligent and sentient as their dog or cat, a whole lot less people would eat them. maybe some of the jerks who posted in this thread would be the acception though. people dont think about what they are eating when they bite into their yummy ham sandwich.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is such a bullcrap argument. The population of active hunters in the united states is huge...in the millions. These are people who slaughter and then clean their own food, at least in the vein of small game like rabbits, squirel, and game fowl. There are even more fishermen, though I'll admit that gutting and cleaning a fish is infinitely more pleasant than skinning and cleaning a mammal or bird. So theres lots of people out there that fully prepare at least some food from living to being cooked on their plate.

I agree with Mr. Sklansky that the raising and slaughter of animals ought to be done as humanely as reasonably possible.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:58 PM

I dont see why animal intelligence is the only consideration given for possibly sparing their lives.

In fact I think if it came down to eating humans, I would eat David Sklansky first, he seems like a jerk and probably deserves it.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont see why animal intelligence is the only consideration given for possibly sparing their lives.

In fact I think if it came down to eating humans, I would eat David Sklansky first, he seems like a jerk and probably deserves it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am guessing David's response would be "EAT ME"
Old 02-25-2007, 07:53 PM

Mmmmmmm tasty

Old 02-25-2007, 08:12 PM

Unfortunately Pigs are God's tastiest creatures. He tried giving them high intelligence to compensate for this. Pigs used this intelligence to make some religions think it was wrong to eat them. Alas being intelligent but delicious is a losing propositon as man is weak and likes unhealthy but delicious things...

I blame God for this unfair test and you should too.