Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: aba is my king
yers 59 60.20%
BASTARD 39 39.80%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

It doesn't suck and would probably grow on you somewhat, but I'm not sure its worth the effort. This might be their most accessible album yet... but its still definitely experimental and has some noise influences. There is a lot of cool sounds and interesting song structures and rhythms.

There is a childish energy to both their sound and lyrics ("ChooChooChooChoo BeepBeep") that a lot of people apparently love that I do find kind of annoying. Still, they are definitely doing a lot of interesting/cool things...
Old 02-16-2007, 12:45 PM

CMI, thanks for the NMH recommendation. I had never listened to that before and have been a lot for the last ~week. Its really good (my musical tastes were MUCH different in high school then they are now). Songs:Ohia was another really good CD I kind of skipped over, so thanks for that recommendation Claunchy...

I just finally got AF - Neon Bible and it is definitely my favorite CD of the year so far (funny I'm saying finally even though it isn't out for like 3 weeks).

I think JOA's breakdown of the songs is pretty much right on except that I would bump "My Body is a Cage" up to good, "Windowsill" up to awesome and "Intervention" up to probably the best song I've heard in a long time. This CD is really really good.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:26 AM

I am on my 2nd listen through of Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank. A few basic thoughts:

- This is at least their third best album. It has the potential to move up higher.
- The guitar work is absolutely fantastic, as is to be expected
- They've moved both closer to conventional rock and farther from it. There's definitely a few songs with a "Space Rock" feel. There are a lot of tempo changes, some of them only for a few seconds.
- "Dashboard," "Florida," and "Fly Trapped in a Jar" are amazing.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:07 AM

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Primal Scream is something I got from a friend a few years ago, and never really listened to, until it popped up on random in my iTunes, and I decided not to skip over it. Man, I was missing out, this album is amazing. It's a fun fusion of Indie Brit-pop and dance music, and has me bobbing my head and tapping my feet throughout the whole ride.

The back to back tracks of "Come Together" and "Loaded" is 18 minutes of musical orgy.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also for a while i got into that sort of shoegaze/noise/low-fi sort of stuff. ive hit up most of the notable names, wondering what else is out there

Mogwai
M83
A Silver Mt. Zion
Godspeed! You Black Emperor
My Bloody Valentine

etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might also want to check out:

Guitar

Ulrich Schnauss

Electrelane

And the last Ladytron album sounded really My Bloody Valentine-ish too.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:26 AM

and Explosions in the Sky
Old 02-25-2007, 05:06 PM

I just want to say that I've done a complete 180 on the latest Of Montreal album. Hissing Fauna... is officially awesome.

Try as I might, I just can't get into the Deerhoof album at all. Oh well, to each his own.

I just got The Besnard Lakes Are The Dark Horse by The Besnard Lakes, and I'll post a review as soon as I get a good feel for it.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:00 PM

Anyone out there have a concert report on the Arcade Fire shows in Washington Sq at the church? I just got my tickets for the Orpheum show in Boston and I'm pumped.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone out there have a concert report on the Arcade Fire shows in Washington Sq at the church? I just got my tickets for the Orpheum show in Boston and I'm pumped.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't fortunate enough to go but all indications were that it was a great show. The whole concert is available at NPR The Arcade Fire in Concert

I hadn't heard about this before reading it the NPR webpage.
"That is why we leaked over 100 songs on Myspace.com as fake band names over the last year and then made a compilation of the 11 most popular songs and called it Neon Bible! You will hear the whole record in due time and I am sure it will all make sense."

Did anyone have a chance to come across any of the fake bands over the past year?
Old 02-26-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever a music thread comes up there is almost never mention of any of the many British bands who have emerged over the past few years. The British music scene really has expoded recently, lead by the likes of Coldplay, Muse, Bloc Party etc, but there are a lot of great bands who have yet to make the move stateside, or are just starting to, who I'm sure you guys would like.

The Fratellis - Costello Music

The Fratellis are an indie rock band from Glasgow, Scotland who broke into the UK scene in '06. Their debut album Costello Music charted at number 2 and received critical acclaim as one of the best albums of the year. Their music is upbeat and pretty similar to the American indie stuff that gets mentioned here a lot. They just released their first American EP, which is available on iTunes and in stores, and are releasing their album in the US on March 13th. This is one of my favourite records of last year.

Fratellis MySpace

YouTube videos of their singles:
Henrietta
Chelsea Dagger
Whistle For The Choir
These are definitely their best tracks, Chelsea Dagger probably being my favourite.

Hype Machine - Fratellis

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. this album is awesome.
Closed Thread