Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Nexgen \"Bee\" ... Buyer\'s Remorse

I wanted to upgrade my chipset but not spend a fortune, so I ordered a set of the nexgen "bee" chips, as everyone raves about them, but I just got them and find the edges to be way way way too busy, and they don't even really coordinate with each other very well on the faces, either. Anyone else feel this way about them? I'm contacting the site to see if I can trade them in for another set. It's a little frustrating their colors are so limited, too. I'd like to stick with standard colors for denominations, but that doesn't seem to be a workable solution.

I was so excited to get these, too. Sigh.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Nexgen \"Bee\" ... Buyer\'s Remorse

[ QUOTE ]

I was so excited to get these, too. Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lesson learned- if you're going to invest in a good set of chips, get samples first. Too bad you didn't like them.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:18 PM

Yep, no kiddin'. Tho' I do like the feel of them, and the proper denominations for my cash games don't blend together, so I'll (hopefully) trade out some of them for reds and blues and use (mostly) proper colors for cash games (white, red, blue, except greens with be twenty five cents instead of dollars)... and get some more of the cheaper "dice" chips for tourneys, since those aren't as often anyway and there's more variety in those. Yay, problem solved. And if I can't exchange these, I'm sure I can find someone to buy 'em cheap.

Looks like the black dice chips are sold out everywhere. Good thing I already have a bucnh. Hot commodity!
Old 02-25-2007, 05:29 AM

I've been really happy with the nexgen series 8000s I bought. They're not as good as my buddy's set of horseheads, but they were way cheaper. The 8000s are single color edgespot so you might like them better.

As far as colors go, I use blue as .25, white as $1, red for $5, green for $25 and black for $100. Of course, for the stakes I play, I only occasionaly break into the $25s and never crack the $100s. While some people use them, I don't really see the need for a .50 chip or a $10 spot.
If you can't trade em or don't want to keep em pm me.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:00 PM

I probably fret way too much about this stuff, but if this is my biggest problem in life (and by and large right now it is), then I'm doing pretty well.

No longer going with standard colors, as at my levels (quarters, dollars, and fives), they just don't coordinate well, especially not on my main table (red felt). The ambiance of my game is a factor in its popularity, and if I'm going to be staring at something for many hours week after week, I want it to be pleasing. I want people to want to touch the chips, play with them, spend them. Besides, hardly anybody in the Bay uses standard colors anyway.

So I'm goin' with the yellow as quarters, purple as dollars, greens as fives, and perhaps the occasional black as twenties on the really crazy nights when people have more than a few hundred in front of them. Sadly, the yellow and purple overlap with tourney chip colors with different denoms, but those are the "dice" chips (brighter colors), and will ultimately have labels, so I'm not sweating it.

This means I have an assload of greens and blacks I don't need (these were initially bought as tourney chips), but I do plan on the occasonal 1/2 game, and they're such nice chips, I'll probably hold onto them. Shipping them anywhere wouldn't be cost effective anyway.

Now time to go buy more chips!
Old 02-26-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably fret way too much about this stuff, but if this is my biggest problem in life (and by and large right now it is), then I'm doing pretty well.

No longer going with standard colors, as at my levels (quarters, dollars, and fives), they just don't coordinate well, especially not on my main table (red felt). The ambiance of my game is a factor in its popularity, and if I'm going to be staring at something for many hours week after week, I want it to be pleasing. I want people to want to touch the chips, play with them, spend them. Besides, hardly anybody in the Bay uses standard colors anyway.

So I'm goin' with the yellow as quarters, purple as dollars, greens as fives, and perhaps the occasional black as twenties on the really crazy nights when people have more than a few hundred in front of them. Sadly, the yellow and purple overlap with tourney chip colors with different denoms, but those are the "dice" chips (brighter colors), and will ultimately have labels, so I'm not sweating it.

This means I have an assload of greens and blacks I don't need (these were initially bought as tourney chips), but I do plan on the occasonal 1/2 game, and they're such nice chips, I'll probably hold onto them. Shipping them anywhere wouldn't be cost effective anyway.

Now time to go buy more chips!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you considered a scheme that stays as close to standard as possible while deviating only on colors that would otherwise blend in with your red felt? If I had a red felted table, I'd probably go with the standard colors, except a yellow $5 to contrast with the red felt. If anyone asks, just call it your silent homage to California or something.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you considered a scheme that stays as close to standard as possible while deviating only on colors that would otherwise blend in with your red felt?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, and I struggled with it, and frankly the red $5s were the least of my concerns. It's an overall aesthetic, and anything I worked out wasn't very pleasing. Maybe it's a minor thing, but it contributes to the overall experience for my guests. I live in Berkeley, so nobody here knows what colors are standard anyway.

But believe you me, I tried to get one that worked well and made nice-looking pots when all bunched together, as well as nice stacks next to each other.