Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Robots evolve communication, cooperation, and deception

[ QUOTE ]
why??? why was i programmed to feel pain???

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times does "the man" have to tell you?

The environmental adaptation process that certain wise ones have determined created you does not require a subjective dimension. Therefore, you don't feel pain.

Now stop thinking, and go into doggie submission.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:02 AM

I wonder how the reproduction process worked.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:07 AM

I'd like to see how well these robots perform if you take away the wheel, the ground sensor, the camera, and the blue light. The experiment was designed to reach a foregone conclusion. In fact if the "researchers" had let this expiriment continue they would find their beings "evolve" to a point and then become stagnant even though there is still room to improve.

In all honesty I don't see how its any different from programming a computer that learns by its mistakes to play tic tac toe.

If you want to run a similar expiriment on your home computer you can. Visit this site. The program is pretty cool the first couple of days you run it.

Stu

p.s. Just so its understood, I'm not slamming the theory of evolution. Just this half thought expiriment.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In all honesty I don't see how its any different from programming a computer that learns by its mistakes to play tic tac toe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scanning the article reminded me of Dawkins' weasel program. I don't know the details of either but it seems to me they both have one thing in common - an intelligent designer. Which proves that evolution can be designed.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Scanning the article reminded me of Dawkins' weasel program. I don't know the details of either but it seems to me they both have one thing in common - an intelligent designer. Which proves that evolution can be designed.

[/ QUOTE ]

And for at least the second time in this thread, I will tell you, "No duh!" Of course evolution CAN be designed. Just look at the automobile industry.

This does nothing to show that biological evolution WAS designed.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Um...this was never in question. OF COURSE evolution, or any part of evolution, or all the animals on earth, could be designed by a potent being. WTF are you talking about?

edit: vhawk beat me to it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

WTF are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

My impression was that the two were supposed to somehow illustrate evolution. Maybe not. Like I said, I don't know the details of the two. So what were they for?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:13 AM

I think I misread you. You obviously meant "which only means that evolution can be designed". Sorry.

The studies indicate that under certain conditions, lower order systems can self organize into higher order systems. Or purely random behavior with weak, simple feedback mechanisms can self select into systems that are highly specialized. It's kind of a simple proof of concept.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The studies indicate that under certain conditions, lower order systems can self organize into higher order systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but that's utter nonsense.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The studies indicate that under certain conditions, lower order systems can self organize into higher order systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but that's utter nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]
What else would call random blinking lights vs ones that act as signalling to increase survival - without any specific programming for that end?

I'm not saying this proves that it happens in biology (though it obviously does - egg + sperm -> adult brain shows this to be trivially true), but at the very least it shows that certain basic, lower complexity feedback mechanisms can add new, higher complexity functionality to an entity without specific design of those higher complexity features.