Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Player reviews for all poker books

I'd like to see a long thread of all opinions of any poker books. I like to read as many as I can get my hands on, and have the patience for. Here's a list of the ones I've read and a short opinion on each:

"Harrington on Holdem Vol 1": Gave a good, general, intelligient explaination of his rock, selective-agressive play. Might be a bit dry if you don't like his strategy.

"Harrington on Holdem Vol 2": Dove deeper into his approach. Got a few good ideas from this book.

"Super System 1": Starting to wonder if it's still a must-read in 2007. If you don't take into account this publish date, you may be confused. Still fun to read.

"Online Poker" by Doyle Brunson: Most likely a waste of time if you're a 2+2er. VERY general explanation of online poker (how to set up an account, who you should trust, etc)

"Killer Poker Online 1" by John Vorhaus: For beginners, very technical, probably a good book for a mathematician.

"Killer Poker Online 2" by Vorhuas: Dives deeper into the topic, and is again very technical. If you keep poker spreadsheets, this is your kind of book. Decent, took a couple things from it.

"How to Win the Championship: Holde-em Strategies for the Final Table" by T.J. Cloutier: If you like T.J. it might be fun to read, but apart from maybe a couple things I could take from it, it was pretty general. The primary focus was playing from the final 3 tables of a large tournament.

"Mike Caro's Book of Poker Tells": Might be more of a must-read than Super System 1. Focus is on live play, but there is no doubt the online player can take some from it. This book will really get you thinking about the other person, what they are doing, yourself, what you are doing, and what to do about it all.

I have read a few others, but they are in the past, and somewhat out of memory. I was waiting on SS2 from DR, but looks like that fell through.

I'd also like to hear if anyone thinks Dan Harrington's 3rd book is worth the time. I enjoyed Vols 1 and 2 most out of this list.

Anyone else have reviews on any other books or any of these books?
Old 02-24-2007, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Player reviews for all poker books

Harrington's third book is good, but not essential. Folding to a made flush sfter trapping with your straight (Negreanu vs. Farha) and trying to get out alive with your boat that just gotten beaten out by a straight flush ("Avoiding the Negative Freeroll" (?!?)Harman vs. Zeidman) are probably lessons you shouldn't have to learn from anywhere. All I'm getting at the very least is 'look at the disclipine involved in these hands.' While the majority of these hands are interesting, Phil Gordon's Little Blue and Green books are abetter for hand analysis if that's what you're looking for.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:29 AM

theory of poker, nltep
Old 02-25-2007, 01:30 AM

blue and green are great, and time playing, hoh a must.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:24 PM

below is a list of the poker books that i consider to be the most important for my development. there is no order.

The Theory of Poker
Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players
Small Stakes Hold 'em
Harrington on Hold 'em Volume I
Harrington on Hold'em Volume II
Harrington on Hold'em Volume III
Seven Card Stud for Advanced Player
High-Low Split Poker, Seven Card Stud and Omaha Eight or Better for Advanced Players
Sklansky on Poker
Gambling Theory and Other Topics
Getting the Best of It
Inside the Poker Mind
Poker Esasys I
Poker Esasys II
Poker Eassys III
Poker, Gaming, & Life

also good:

Weighing the Odds
Middle Limit Hold 'Em
No Limit Hold 'em theory & Practice
How Good is your Limit Poker
Tournament Poker for Advanced Players
Old 02-28-2007, 06:37 AM

You might want to try this: http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/gambling/index.html

A lot of reviews.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:26 PM

Why does almost everyone leave Roy Cooks books off their list of must haves.
This truly baffles me.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:21 PM

I was wondering what you guys feel are the best NL cash game books. And also is Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big With Expert Play only a limit book like i heard somewhere?
Old 02-28-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does almost everyone leave Roy Cooks books off their list of must haves.
This truly baffles me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because most players are looking for quick and easy solutions. Roy doesn't prescribe how to play the game, he teaches how to think about the game. Most players just want an ABC winning style. Thinking makes their heads hurt.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:53 PM

I have many Poker books. I saw Miller's Getting Started in HE at a store and it looked interesting. It is more of a beginner book but I wish that I had read this as my very first book. A very good read. Mostly about Limit but parts about playing small stack NLHE that are very good. All the others that amulet mentioned are good ones. I find that erading basic beginner books is always a good thing to remind oneself that overall ABC poker strategy is still IMO the basic foundation of a good overall player.