Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Suited hands in a multiway pot on the BB?

A friend of mine told me that I should always call any suited hand in the BB if the pot is raised once preflop and there is at least one other player in the pot. He said that someone on this forum has done some research that suggests that there are always good enough implied odds in at least a 3-handed pot, because you are getting 5-1 on a pf call and could win a big pot by hitting your flush or some occasional monster like trips or 2 pair. Is this true? I am beginning to doubt it, and I seem to be losing with some trash suited hands, although my sample size is way too small anyway so I am not sure.

However, if UTG raises and SB calls, it seems too loose to call some trash suited hands like 74s, because pf raiser could have a big pair and your pot equity is not very high. And about implied odds, you can always lose to a bigger flush (eg. UTG has AKs), and that would be very expensive.

Should I call only connected suited hands as a default play, or suited 1-2 gappers? Or suited hands both cards T or higher? All suited hands if the pot is 4-handed but only the best ones if 3-handed? Anyone have enough sample size in a database?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Suited hands in a multiway pot on the BB?

Getting 5:1, if you play well postflop and your opponents are bad postflop, you can call pretty liberally with two suited. I would call 74s, but dump 72s and usually dump 73s. I would fold T4s and usually T5s, but call T6s. Suited gappers are strong hands because they can hit the flop in a lot of ways. Be sure you recognize good and bad flops for your hand. With 7c4c, Ah Kh 4d is a bad flop and should be folded to any flop bet, while 9c 6s 3h is a decent flop and worth calling one bet on the flop if you are closing the action.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:46 AM

I think it was Peter Rus that did some research, but I am not sure.

I call any2 suited getting 5:1 no matter who raised and who called. I also call any2 suited if it goes limp - raise - me?

My DB is only ~350k hands so its definetely not big enough to be sure its not just variance. But last time I checked with the suited thrash for "big blind", "put money in" and "3 to the flop" the overall winrate was something like (0.18), thus winning me around 0.32BB/hand.

As long as I have results like that I will keep on making these loose calls.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it was Peter Rus that did some research, but I am not sure.

I call any2 suited getting 5:1 no matter who raised and who called. I also call any2 suited if it goes limp - raise - me?

My DB is only ~350k hands so its definetely not big enough to be sure its not just variance. But last time I checked with the suited thrash for "big blind", "put money in" and "3 to the flop" the overall winrate was something like (0.18), thus winning me around 0.32BB/hand.

As long as I have results like that I will keep on making these loose calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

That does not mean your most marginal calls preflop in the BB are profitable. Your criteria include those times you pick up big suited cards and 3-bet preflop because you have the best of it. Also, a hand like T8s is naturally going to do better in that situation than, say, T3s. Also, it's not clear from your phrasing whether you were considering hands that were 3-way or hands that were at least 3-way (but maybe more).

It's just too hard to get a significant sample of only pots that were exactly 3-way for a single raise while you're in the BB with a suited trash hand (assuming we can agree which hands to qualify as suited trash) to make any meaningful statistical deductions.

I suspect calling with T3s or 73s or 92s in this spot is a marginally losing play, but not disasterous by any means.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your criteria include those times you pick up big suited cards and 3-bet preflop because you have the best of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it's not clear from your phrasing whether you were considering hands that were 3-way or hands that were at least 3-way (but maybe more).

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sorry that I didnt explain myself correctly. This is my results: (Filterede for me being Big Blind and putting money in)

Hands: T5s-T2s, 95s-92s, 84s-82s, 74s-72s, 63s-62s, 53s-52s, 43s, 32s.

Exactly 3 to the flop : 341 hands (0.19)

3 or more to the flop : 617 hands (0.14)

[ QUOTE ]
It's just too hard to get a significant sample of only pots that were exactly 3-way for a single raise while you're in the BB with a suited trash hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I wont claim that calling 92s getting 5:1 is profitable regardless, but if I keep doing it with such great results I am not gonna start folding anytime soon. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]