Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 07:56 AM

Default $20 A10 preflop

Just a real simple question. I have an arguement with someone over how to play this hand. I think we should raise, not with the intention of winning the blinds, but with the intention of making it heads up. So rather than raise 5x I raise 3x and get it heads up with the limper. Then I continuation bet the flop to take it down.

He thinks I should limp in preflop.

What do you guys think?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t25/t50
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1500
UTG+1: t1380
MP1: t1710
MP2: t2850
CO: t1400
Hero: t1440
SB: t1900
BB: t1320

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, MP1 calls t50 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t75)</font>, 2 folds, Hero folds, SB calls t25 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t125)</font>, BB checks.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t150, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets t100</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to t200</font>, 2 folds.
Uncalled bets: t100 returned to BB.

Results:
Final pot: t350
Old 02-24-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Re: $20 A10 preflop

I dont know if you noticed, but a c-bet is not taking this mutha down. If you really think playing this hand heads up at this level is a good idea, I think we need to sit down and talk about early play in these SNG's .

Your goal is not to play heads up with a marginal hand, your goal is not to steal the blinds when they are 50-100, your goal is to play tight and exceptional poker. You need to raise here if you do want to take it down. I usually only do this if its folded around, and if I am short stacked I might push. Still, probably not optimal unless its folded around.

I dont think its a good idea with MP1 limping though. Also, don't be results oriented. The flop coming out all hearts should not influence your decision. Especially when you only have ace high when the turn and river blank.

Raise to 150 if it is folded around. With MP1 limping make it 200 if you still have a hard on about playing this garbage. I'd advise you to fold PF at this stage if you want to play better in the future though.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:36 AM

I know a cont. bet would not take this flop down, I am referring to cont. bet any flop. Pretend the flop is not posted.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:40 AM

Sorry I'm being really mean. I think its because I'm still on tilt, so dont take it personally.

I think a raise to 200 (150 + 50 for limper) isnt terrible. If we get a decent flop a cbet is important. If not fold. Its bad to get involved at this level c-betting without a solid hand. Its a bad leak, one I used to have, but thats why we post hands here right?
Old 02-24-2007, 08:51 AM

thanks for the help fish.