Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 05:00 AM

Default Poker Question Im Pissed OFF

I was playing poker today. It was some stupid game called chicago. The pot was pretty big and the player to my right was talking my ear off. I got distracted and accidently stated that I only had a pair of AAs when in reality I had As and 5s. The other person and everyone else claimed I had to be held to the original statement of As. Is this a rule in poker? I would think the cards would speak for themselves.

It was my fault. I was playing a stupid game Im unfamiliar with and allowed myself to get disctracted, but whats the rule on this. It was a pretty big pot.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Poker Question Im Pissed OFF

it depends, were you actually playing chicago in the city of chicago or elsewhere?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:08 AM

We were actualy playing the game in San Diego and Im just asking in general. Forget the game of chicago. Just basic poker rules. Here is what ive found

Cards speak (cards read for themselves). The dealer assists in reading hands, but players are responsible for holding onto their cards until the winner is declared. Although verbal declarations as to the contents of a hand are not binding, deliberately miscalling a hand with the intent of causing another player to discard a winning hand is unethical and may result in forfeiture of the pot. (For more information on miscalling a hand see “Section 11 - Lowball,” Rule 15 and Rule 16.)
Old 02-24-2007, 05:11 AM

oh well in that case you have to declare your cards correctly, and if you don't then you must not be David Blane. at least that's how they rule it here.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:13 AM

Its not binding it says. So when I said Pair of As and then corrected myself I should have been able to take the pot.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its not binding it says. So when I said Pair of As and then corrected myself I should have been able to take the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is obviously the rule

however, if you say you have a hand better than you do and it causes the person to muck a hand that's actually better than your real hand you forfeit the pot in many places