Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Autism

[ QUOTE ]
I happened to be talking to a Family Doctor in a social setting recently, and the topic of increased diagnosis of autism came up.

He mentioned the obvious, that the definition has broadened, and better diagnosis as a whole. But he also had one more interesting theory. He claimed that parents would rather have their children diagnosed as autistic than mentally retarded (sorry I am not sure of the correct term). And that doctors would often fudge the diagnosis to make the parents happy.

I don't think he had anything to back up those statements, and he had had a couple of drinks. So it's probably a baseless statement. But still, it's something to think about.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Time article I linked to above says similar things about fudging a diagnosis.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:04 AM

something like 50% of internet addicted nerds have at least mild aspergers. I have it, you have it, everyone has it. it's not that big a deal, especially since it's linked to increased intelligence. given that enough social conditioning and working on yourself can take care of most of the bad stuff in mild to moderate cases, I'll take that tradeoff.

(mild) aspergers != 'real' autism (and thank god for that.)
Old 02-24-2007, 03:13 AM

Myrtle, nice posts.

I have a 3 year old with autism, diagnosed at just over 2 years old. I could write a lot about some of his interesting behaviors and some of the ways he was diagnosed very early, but I'd have to be in a pefect mood since it brings back some powerful memories.

He attends a special school where he gets intense 1 on 1 attention and has been integrated into a few preschool type settings with a 'shadow'. He learned sign language and eventually has developed quite a vocabulary although the words are hard to understand.

A daunting thing as a parent is the extensive anecodotal therapies out there. Most do not have any true evidence-based research to prove their effectivenss, but the anecdotal stories are powerful. These include all sorts of diets, most commonly gluten and casein free; chelation to rid the body of toxins; probiotics and other ways to replenish good gut bacteria; IVIG (Intravenous immune globulin from other people; and countless others.

Kids fall of over the range of autism and very few are the 'classic' kid shown on TV. The autism preschool he attends is for kids ages 2-6 and costs about $60k per year. Even with this high cost the waiting list is long enough that some kids will be too old before a spot ever opens up. It makes me so sad to think of the kids that are barely getting any help at all.

I'll add a post about some of his skills and defecits which are interesting.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:30 AM

Im autistic.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:41 AM

If what bet2win described is aspergers or whatever, then I have that. But how is most of that different from simply being socially anxious/awkward?
Old 02-24-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Examples: Kim Peak, the inspiration for rain man. Can read two pages, one with each eye, in approximately 7-10 seconds, and retains 95+% of information. Possibly the greatest memory ever. Could tell you everything about a specific zip code, and could tell you what day of the week wintson churchill's birthday is this year, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

On Discovery Science Channel tonight, the Kim Peek documentary, "The Real Rainman", is on at 7p est. Before it is "Brainman", which is also worth watching.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
something like 50% of internet addicted nerds have at least mild aspergers. I have it, you have it, everyone has it. it's not that big a deal, especially since it's linked to increased intelligence. given that enough social conditioning and working on yourself can take care of most of the bad stuff in mild to moderate cases, I'll take that tradeoff.

(mild) aspergers != 'real' autism (and thank god for that.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't downplay the seriousness of Asperger's. Yes, for many people at the mild end of Asperger's it may only be some social ackwardness, a minor lack of coordination and perhaps a few language issues. As you say, there is also the upside of a *tendency* to have better-than-average intelligence, particularly in math, though sadly this is not true in every case.

When you look at moderate to severe Asperger's, though, you're now virtually a social outcast, the last picked in sports, and you struggle mightly to just keep your head above water in class - perhaps you do (just) OK in math, but in English? Good luck. The worst part, perhaps, is that you're right on the border of getting help, and many parents don't know enough about Asperger's or about the educational system to get help that the child NEEDS to even try and make it in the normal world.

While I don't in any way want to minimize the issues of full-on Autism, at least there are programs and institutions in place to help in these cases, and the obviousness of the need for assistance ensures that it will be provided, for life if need be. For someone with moderate to severe Asperger's, the future may actually be much bleaker as they struggle to fit in to a world that doesn't feel or realize that people with Asperger's also need some level of support.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:45 PM

Asperger's also involves a highly routine based lifestyle, obsessions, better at logic/math/pattern recognition not just being socially awkward or unsocial.

Here are some tests

test 1 I scored 42 on this one

test 2 27 on this one

I'm going to see my GP this week and try and get refered so I can get diagnosed.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:17 PM

I think it's so fascinating how Amanda Baggs mentioned that she thinks in patterns and colors. It reminded me of Daniel Tammet and his description of his thought process. I think he is more impressive than Kim Peek. It amazes me to think of all the autistic geniuses in the world that we have yet to figure out how to communicate with yet.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:18 PM

There are alot of forms of psychiatric problems that could be associated with difficulties in social life.
Autistic tendency is but one part, personality disorders are another and fobies a third. I think plain shyness is the most common though (and not a psychiatric problem).

With that said I do belive asperger is overrepresnted on internet boards and on technical universities for example.

Selfdiagnosies is hard and at best just mildly misleading. If you have problems you should see a doctor. There are alot of methods to help build compensatory mechnisms (example cbt).

Just because you have asperger does not mean you have an higher intelligence. It means you don't have a lower then normal intelligence. And as stated earlier maths/logic usually comes easier but the verbal (and social) part of an intelligence test (ex WAIS), the scores are lower.
Monomania, being obsessed with one thing, is common in asperger but not an absolut thing.
The biggest problems lies of course in problems due to not understanding the social game.