Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 08:53 PM

Default KK probably misplayed

Villain is around 28/6 and somewhat but not very aggressive postflop after a big sample.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($10)
MP ($21.85)
CO ($17.70)
Button ($120.80)
SB ($27.55)
Hero ($25)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls $0.65, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, UTG calls $1.75, SB calls $1.75.

Flop: ($7.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.5</font>, UTG folds, SB calls $4.50.

Turn: ($16.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($16.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $15</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $31.50
Old 02-23-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Re: KK probably misplayed

Bet more on the flop so you can shove turn.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:06 PM

bet a little more on the flop and get the rest in on the turn
Old 02-23-2007, 09:10 PM

Agreed bet more on the pot, don't check the turn.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:17 PM

Near usniversal agreement on this one. The flop bet was a little light, I would have gone for $6.5. I know it makes your hand more obvious but if he's going to draw incorrectly then he'll do it no matter your bet.

And as stated, slightly more on the flop allows you to open shove the turn. The Q isn't a scare card. I highly doubt he'd have called the flop with QQ.

River's a pain. You must be thinking he's hit 2 pair because surely AK folds the flop?
Old 02-23-2007, 09:19 PM

Board is dry and player doesn't suck. I can almost understand betting more on the flop(though I disagree) but betting the turn? If I get my stack in on the turn I'm probably behind a good deal of the time.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Board is dry and player doesn't suck. I can almost understand betting more on the flop(though I disagree) but betting the turn? If I get my stack in on the turn I'm probably behind a good deal of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't let yourself be too afraid of monsters under the bed. The turn Q is a bummer, b/c it makes it harder to get value, but this is still as good a time to get your stack in as any: If he has QQ or 99 you were meant to get stacked, nothing to be ashamed of. Lots of suspicious players will still get it in with JJ, TT, maybe even A9 or a floating AQ.
If you check behind you're just letting him take control of the hand and letting him get a free card that could lose the pot for you.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:29 PM

Uhhh... why would you disagree with betting more on the flop? A weak bet gets floated more often, you get less value, and you have to play mroe cautious.

K, if you don't want to get it in on the turn, then c/f, whatever. I don't know why you wouldnt want to, you have an overpair and haven't been shown any aggression yet.

Do you automatically put him on a set or QQ? If you know that you're behind on the turn why are you asking?
Old 02-23-2007, 09:30 PM

You really need to consider stack sizes, and I'm very suprised nobody has pointed out what I'm about to say thus far.

pre-flop - UTG has $10 - you need to be thinking at that point if I raise and he calls... he's going to be playing for his stack on the flop. So you need to raise an amount that allows you to get your stack all-in on the flop. In this case I raise pre-flop to about $3.50.

If he calls and the SB folds the pot is $7.75 and he has a stack of $6.50. You can then put all his money in quite easily.

If the SB comes along the pot will be $10.50. I would then bet about $7.50 and shove any turn.

As played -

I again put the UTG player all-in on the flop. You do this so the UTG doesn't RR less than the min-raise and the SB decides to come along you then can't go over the top again for protection/value.

It also makes any turn an easy shove.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:30 PM

Yeah, jeff said it much better than I did, mostly same point though.