Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Password Settings

Hi,
I use the "remember password" setting on the poker software I use. I'm wondering if this is more dangerous than typing it in - in terms of hackers obtaining your password. I've heard about trojans on computers being able to log all the keystrokes made by the user; this is why I use the remember password setting.

It's not that I think I have any trojans on my computer or anything. I have Mcafee and scan for viruses twice a week.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Password Settings

the biggest risk of using saved passwords is when your pc is physically vulnerable. If you have roommates, a laptop that is unattended at times, etc.

If the convenience of not having to type in you password is less than the chance that someone will sit down at your PC when you aren't watching, don't use stored passwords.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:14 PM

If someone gets control of your PC you got more trouble than if you type your password or store it. If that's what they want they will get it one way or another.

Just follow the recommended security guidelines that have been posted and you should be OK.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:22 PM

I personally don't recommend using the save feature. It is what got me when I got hacked. Someone remotely controlled my computer and all they had to do is click Login and they were set. I originally thought the person hacked my LogMeIn account, but it actually was that I had VNC setup and it wasn't updated. The older version I was running had some bug that allowed people to connect without a password.

If you are worried about keyloggers, too...you can put your passwords in some weird location on your hard drive and then go to that text document and just copy-paste your password in each time.

Easier way to be safe would be to just take appropriate safety measures as posted all around 2p2 in various locations.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:49 PM

What Dave said was right... think about it gold, they had remote access to your PC. store your password or not, you're up [censored] creek and theres a hole in your boat. It may delay them a bit, but if they have the dedication to getting remote access, they will get the other info they need as well.