Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Re: There\'s Nothing to Post About

"I guess I'll be the nit to say this is a fold preflop, not close"

to say not close is completely wrong. you have decent equity, the hand will play well against a field and in position, and there's deception value. it's not a homerun as the hand has it's wealth of problems as well, but it is definitively "close".
Old 02-23-2007, 11:26 AM

W/UTGs most likely hand an overpair, it seems like the easiest turn c/r ever w/75s
Old 02-23-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
W/UTGs most likely hand an overpair, it seems like the easiest turn c/r ever w/75s

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if the BB had 43, this would still be a very easy turn check/raise. So the fact that the BB donked the turn doesnt really change his range. It just means that the BB doesnt know how to play monsters.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:58 PM

Call.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I highly doubt I am going to get three-bet here by a set. After all, if I had a lower set, why would I not raise the turn if I was going to raise. Why would I raise the river when what would be a scary card for me comes out? Also, if I 4-bet him, that would not be a cap and I could be raised again.

Maybe you play in games that are much more loose aggro than I do, but if I get reraised I am dragging this pot somewhere in the realm of never against this opponent.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i play in games where my opponents tend to suck in an overaggressive fashion.

that said, as bugstud pointed out, i got mixed up on wtf was going on so it kind of changes the situation based on what i said earlier. it is closer than i originally thought, and even based on your super solid read i think it's a raise if you're doing everything else you're supposed to be doing.

sorry about the earlier confusion on my part. we are really only worried about one hand, right? 75? in fact, against some players we can really only be worried about exactly 75s, which cuts the likelihood even moreso sinces there's only 3 combos of it.

if you're read is that solid, can you fold to a 3bet? how often do you think you're getting 3bet by the "not over the top" guy? he only 3bets the nuts HU on the end? seems like he would be great to play against.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'll be the nit to say this is a fold preflop, not close, unless you just want to gamble but no way is this +EV in my mind.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

with at least 4 others going to see this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be close. The main problem is there's no high card value.

b
Old 02-23-2007, 05:38 PM

I am absolutely dumbfounded that EVERYONE is not saying raise here.

RAISE

If he raises you back and has 5 7 then god bless him.

But there's a [censored] of players out there (99%+) who would have played this hand the same way with hands other than 5 7.

I should point out that my only point of reference is the Foxwoods 20/40 game and I'd raise that river 100% of the time against every player in the room.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:08 PM

Default RESULTS

Ok, I'm going to quickly post the results because I have to go to Happy Hour. In the actual hand, I did raise. As soon as the fourth stack of chips hit the felt, I realized I made a mistake. Not because I lost mind you, but for the reasons I wrote about in this thread. Again, maybe there was nothing to post about because it's too specific to this villain and this game and blah blah blah. But, I drew for the straight, I made the straight and I raised. And I did that with no consideration for why my opponent is still betting and the other factors I mentioned.

He paused and reraised. I called to look at 75o. It's Miller Time - good thread as usual guys.

Jeff [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'm going to quickly post the results because I have to go to Happy Hour. In the actual hand, I did raise. As soon as the fourth stack of chips hit the felt, I realized I made a mistake. Not because I lost mind you, but for the reasons I wrote about in this thread. Again, maybe there was nothing to post about because it's too specific to this villain and this game and blah blah blah. But, I drew for the straight, I made the straight and I raised. And I did that with no consideration for why my opponent is still betting and the other factors I mentioned.

He paused and reraised. I called to look at 75o. It's Miller Time - good thread as usual guys.

Jeff [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as an afterthought of all of this, I think the fact that you consider this player good enough to correctly fold a set on the river to your raise makes a big difference. There just aren't many people who you can legitimately make that claim of. If your read is that concrete then yeah, a raise probably doesn't have value outside of not having to show what you cold-called with PF if he folds.

Good hand to post though, somewhat similar to the river hand I posted, the inclination to raise when you hit a big hand is hard to overcome. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

RAISE

If he raises you back and has 5 7 then god bless him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the ol' "if my opponent has me beat than GOD BLESS HIM!" argument. My favorite statement in support of bad play.

Don't worry about God blessing your opponent. You're the one blessing him with 2 extra bets.

"The final board was 88846 and I had KK so I bet and he raised and I 3-bet and he 4-bet and I 5-bet and he 6-bet and I called saying if ya got quads then god bless you!" God had nothing to do with you going 2 bets too many.

[Note: another common derivative of this delusional thinking is "if he has the nuts then more power to him!"]