Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Get Your Noob Out-uNL edition

What kind of stats and situations do you look for before 3betting opponents light? (By light I mean with any hand worse than QQ or AK)

<font color="red">I go with my gut. I don't use HUD right now, so I don't see stats. It's a "feel" thing for me, others might be different. Also, 3betting light is something that can get you in alot of trouble at uNL (because of the calling station/loose passive nature of the games), so be careful and don't abuse it.--aj </font>
Old 02-23-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

if there are 4 fish at the table with 70BBs and aba20 with 100BBs. Sitting for 70BBs would be the most +EV move

[/ QUOTE ]

noob Q for the Noob thread...what is 'aba20'

<font color="red"> WHO is aba20? Probably the best online poker player at the moment--aj </font>
Old 02-23-2007, 09:54 PM

Really silly but...

How did the term "goot" originate around here?

Aren't cards actually "suited" rather than "sooted?"

<font color="red">Both are just part of the 2p2 culture. No idea how either started. </font>

Lastly, are the mods assigned for a certain length of time or is it just dependent upon how long they are interested in serving?

<font color="red">It's usually for how long we are interested.--aj </font>
Old 02-23-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why am i afraid of 3 bets when i know the guy is 3 betting with air and i have 77-99, AJo+?

i just call and hope he shuts down. if he doesn't i just c/c through to river and 80% of the time i'm good. why can't i just start 4 betting? or putting it in on the flop (besides knowing he only calls with a made hand)? is this bad? (50nl)?

<font color="blue">Do you really think ppl are 3 betting air at 50nl? I havent noticed it yet. </font>

let me rephrase: i moved up to 100nl and experienced an 11 buyin downswing within 2 days (8k hands) from 3 bettors and over aggressive people. ur right this doesn't happen at 50nl. i'm trying to figure out why i'm a winner at 50nl and y i'm a loser at 100nl and against 3 bettors pre and aggro players post flop, this seems to be the reason why.

i myself have been trying to be a 3-bettor at 50nl and i'm having mild success but when it comes time to try 100nl again i don't want to be playing blind against other aggros. perhaps it would be best to just be a 10/8 player again...

[/ QUOTE ]

I use to 3bet regularly @ 50nl, opponents just couldn't deal with it. I ran 15ptbb over like 10k hands. totally crushed it.. had winning stats in every pos. I think i posted in feb oot thread.

Thing is i got to 100nl and got my ass handed to me, i played virtually the same and drop 5 buyins over 5k hands. was it all just variance and is the difference that huge. what adjustments should i make?

<font color="red">The difference is big on Stars IMO. Not as big at FT. Can't speak to other sites. It's probably a combination of spewing, variance, small changes in your game that you didn't notice. But, it's only 5k hands. That's not really a big sample size to say you got crushed at NL100. Post hands, go over your hands, post and reply here. It doesn't come all at once. Getting better happens in small increments and eventually you'll probably beat NL100 like you did NL50, and we'll be talking about you "getting crushed" at NL200.--aj </font>
Old 02-24-2007, 02:06 AM

Hey thanks for making the forums noob friendly, couple of questions:

1)Should I be limping in the small blind with a larger range of hands or smaller? It's cheaper to play from the SB, but don't you lose that value from being OOP post flop? If I should be limping more often in the SB, with what types of hands should I extend my range, to things like suited 1-gappers?

<font color="purple">SB has the worst position post-flop. Playing drawing hands (unless there are 4 limpers or something) is not really profitable and has the potential for disaster if you are comfortable OOP. My advice for people just starting out or trying to plug leaks is to tighten up in the SB and not play anything there that you wouldn't open UTG. Of course, there are exceptions, but you are giving away much value if you fold 86o every time you see it int eh SB </font>

2) What should be determining how much I raise pre-flop; is it cards, position, number of limpers, a combination? For example, if I have AQo UTG in a 9-handed 25nl game, am I raising it less than if i'm in MP+1 and everyone has folded in front of me?

Thanks for the advice, i'm sure i'll be back for more.

<font color="purple">It's generally accepted that the standard pre-flop raise in uNL and SSNL is 4xBB +1BB per limper. However, when I have poor position, I'll sometimes add a BB or two to limit the field a little more. I don't this based upon hand strength so it doesn't give anyone a tell. For instance, if you always raised 5xBB UTG or UTG+1 that will not be giving anything away.

[b] Here's a thread that has some good discussion in it. Ed Miller even makes a guest appearance.

</font> Linky
Old 02-24-2007, 05:50 AM

What does the damn minbet flop, bet pot turn-line mean? I see it all the time. It's usually a laggy player that will minbet or underbet into a field of even 2 or 3 players and if he is called in 1 or 2 spots, he will bet the pot on the turn or overbet it. Mostly, everyone will fold. So I start to think, this is a very mediocre hand or a bluff mostly. But why do they do it, when they are actually called on the flop? I don't get this line at all and I hate it, because I usually have unimproved overs or something like that in these spots.

<font color="purple"> The key here is to re-pop them on the flop when they donk bet. I've seen bad players do this with draws OOP hoping to draw cheap. Sometimes it's bottom pair or an underpair making a 'probe' bet. Sometimes it's the stone call nuts afraid to scare off the pigeons. I usually raise the flop and the crap will fold and the monster will push and I can fold. </font>
Old 02-24-2007, 06:46 AM

I have always been told that I just should play a tight game on micro stakes. Is that correct, is there no room for a bit loose aggresion? For example, I like to raise with hands like 78s first in from hijack+ (4bb). And I always raise all my pocket pairs first in (4bb here also). Is this clearly incorrect?

And what about 3-betting preflop with hands like 88 and T9s?

ps. The game I'm playing is NL€20.

<font color="purple">There's nothing inherently wrong with anything you mentioned. As long as you play well post flop, none of those moves will ever be that much of a mistake pre-flop. I play around 19/11 and open raise all PPs and most SCs from the button and CO(if I want to play the hand). Many different styles can win.

Play the one that works for you. If you find you aren't winning or struggling, tightening up is a better approach to fix your leaks (as opposed to opening it up).</font>
Old 02-24-2007, 01:39 PM

How long is someone usually "banned" for? If someone is banned from microNL, are they also banned from bbv, etc? Ban as in no more posting or you can't read at all? what warrents a ban?

<font color="red">Tempbans are most commonly for 1-3 days. There was a recent 3 week ban though, so it can really be any length, up to a permanent ban for a specific account. Or an IP ban. where the users IP can't post on any account.

Although mods can ban users from specific forums, it's not used that often. When you are tempbanned, you are prohibited from posting on any forum at 2p2 until your ban is up. I believe you can usually keep reading, just no posting during a ban.

2p2 has terms and conditions in the upper left hand corner of the sidebar. Bans are usually doled out for a violation of those t&amp;c's. Warnings are sometimes given beforehand and are noted in the usernotes of a poster that only mods can see. </font>

Did aba come up against phil ivey HU at the 3-6 on FTP? Who was the "best" before aba?

<font color="red">Mahatma/Spirit Rock was considered by some to be the best before aba. Not sure about aba/Ivey. Check out the News, Views, Gossip forum (NVG). They're always talking about aba in there.--aj </font>
Old 02-24-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did aba come up against phil ivey HU at the 3-6 on FTP? Who was the "best" before aba?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Phil Gordon give Pradlah(however you spell it) Freedman the 'BOW'(best online winner) title?

<font color="red">iirc, yes he did. Prahlad = Mahatma/Spirit Rock.--aj </font>
Old 02-24-2007, 02:59 PM

Q1: What do you guys think about my initiative in the 'starting over AND getting a student'?

<font color="red">It's a decent idea. When you are helping someone with their game, it puts you to the test as well. And that can help improve you game. I know it did for me when I helped coach some uNL'ers. </font>

Q2: Your thoughts on balancing your playing with small PP's in the blinds? Mostly against smart opponents your hand is face up when you coldcall a raise in the blinds...My balancing has mostly been the occasional c/r bluff on the flop and 3betting late position openings, but perhaps you guys have some better idea's on this. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<font color="red">Well, in addition to your 3b and c/r, you can call in the blinds with some other hands that you might fold HU (sc's come to mind). You can call in the blinds sporadically with hands you would normally 3b PF, like AQ/AK. And, you can lead into the PFR when you miss your set on favorable flops.--aj </font>
Closed Thread