Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Caesar\'s nightly tourney report (Long)

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it would help if I pose a question...
Does anyone have advice on how to handle the situation where everyone but you wants to chop or make a deal for the "bubble boy"? Should I just quietly refuse, and remain calm about it? Or is it better just to go with the group? In this case, I definitely put myself in a bad situation by alienating the entire table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quietly refuse and remain calm about it.

I was in a similar position (in the same Caesers' tourney, actually) on Monday night. I had 70K/200K when we got to 9. It only paid 6. Someone brought up a chop, no one else said anything right away so I just said "sorry fellas, I can't do it." Someone asked if that meant no deals at all, and I said "maybe later."

I've never had a problem in this situation, as long as I was polite. Should go without saying that you drop a line here and there about how you'll choke with the big stack now that you wouldn't deal.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some moron proposes a deal where we all chip in $20 for whomever busts out on the bubble. Of course everyone loves this idea except for me. I hate it -- it's simply charity. If I want to give to charity I will, not to a poker player. So I say so -- no deal for me, and I'm pretty animated about it. WTF -- it's 12:30 am, and I'm working on 6 hours sleep for three days. No deals.

[/ QUOTE ]

The person who proposed the deal isn't a moron; it's a fairly common practice in live tournaments, and although clearly a bad move for the big stack, people go for it pretty often. Most live tourney players are afraid of the bubble, if all ten are including the chip leader, this deal goes through.

Anyway, your attitude telling the story (moron, acted animated, not giving a poker player charity, etc) makes me doubt you handled this the best way.

I guarantee if you had a good table image (personality-wise), laughed it off and said, "sorry, boys I'm the chip leader, so I'm going to try to steal your blinds until I bust tenth" they'd have been fine.

Also, you can point out that they can still do the save without you, and if you finish tenth they get extra satisfaction b/c you get nothing.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, your attitude telling the story (moron, acted animated, not giving a poker player charity, etc) makes me doubt you handled this the best way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Appreciate the feedback. There's no doubt that I handled it incorrectly. I think next time (hopefully soon) I'll do the exactly what you suggest, stay calm and politely decline the deal. I think I'll leave out the part about stealing all their blinds though [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]