Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Vice President Reaches a New HIGH

[ QUOTE ]

Under Lincoln, these "peace" democrats would have been thrown in jail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this is quite far from the truth.

edited to explain why: The platform of the Democratic party in 1864 called for a cease-fire. In late 1863/early 1864 the war was fairly unpopular and the Repulicans were not sure they would win. If you are right there would never have been an election. However, thankfully for the rest of us, Abraham Lincoln and those in power during a freaking CIVIL WAR did not think it necessary to totally trample the Constitution. Obviously I know that Lincoln did many things that were unconsitutional, but again to compare what was going on in a CIVIL WAR versus a war in Iraq is pretty retarded IMO. But Lincoln did not thrown Congressmen in jail that spoke out against the war, and again this was during a CIVIL WAR.

And also if even in your alternate reality Lincoln threw congressmen in jail for speaking out during the Civil War, to think that this is a good thing that should occur in 2007, in relation to a war half way across the world, I think is pretty scary.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Vice President Reaches a New Low

I agree with em.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I almost posted that I agree with the Vice President.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually thinking kind of the same thing. But I don't think it's only AlQuaeda and that is what pisses me off (because it ties this whole mess to 9/11 and strengthens the "Dems are weak on terrorism" theme). The Sunnis (who are not all AQ) want us out, and a lot of the Shiites want us out. So if their strategy is to get us out then yes, by leaving we are validating their strategy.

This does not necessarily mean that by leaving we are harming the interests of the United States, or even of Iraq for that matter.

It is very similar to those who say we should not have left Vietnam. Yes by leaving we were "validating" the North Vietnamese stragtegy, but so the [censored] what? Stay there for another 10 years and lose another 50,000 American lives? Not to mention completely destroying the country of Vietnam and killing countless civilians?

I think that is the choice we face in Iraq today. We are not going "win" in the conventional sense, not matter how hard people wish it. We have to face the reality and many think that leaving is the best choice. Who cares if this "validates" the strategy of those who want us to leave.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stay there for another 10 years and lose another 50,000 American lives?

[/ QUOTE ]

How does 3,000 in 4 years equal another 50,000 in 10?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Stay there for another 10 years and lose another 50,000 American lives?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you factoring in inflation?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Cheny Says in One Sentence What Say in a Book

[ QUOTE ]
You are kidding right? I was marginally for the war in Iraq and to a degree I still am for fighting if we we to fight correctly. But enough is enough. This administration doesnt get year after year after to year to keep [censored] this thing up.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is true that Bush has mismanaged the war. Both militarily (not enough troops and too many restrictions on troops) and poltically (ignoring the Kurds, appointed Gen Garner, and other things).... The 20,000 troop surge will help. Personally I think we we need 200,000 troops there. I have advocated withdrawing the 2nd ID from South Korea and putting them in Iraq.

[ QUOTE ]
The excuse that calling for an end to things validates the Al Qaeda strategy simply doesnt fly anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]
Al Qaeda can not defeat the US military. In every heads-up fight, they have lost. Their only hope is for the USA to give up and leave Iraq. If al Qaeda was to plant a mole in the US Congress/US Senate with the mission of undermining the morale and will of the USA to win in Iraq.....the actions of this mole would be identical to the behavior of the Democrat leadership. Bush/Cheney say they are not questioning their patriotism...only their judgement. I QUESTION THEIR PATRIOTISM....
Old 02-23-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Cheny Says in One Sentence What Say in a Book

[ QUOTE ]
Bush/Cheney say they are not questioning their patriotism...only their judgement. I QUESTION THEIR PATRIOTISM....

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'm tired of hearing this crap. I question the Dems patriotism and the republicans judgement.

Either go all in and fight to win or get the hell out. Course we would be going back in sooner or later. The region would be completly on fire. Victory would be three times harder, but hell. Let the troops rest then. Fighting for a stalemate is not the right decision.

War is cruelty, the crueler it is faught, the quicker it will end.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

vietnam, 10 years equaled 50k US dead. God you guys are totally uninformed.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Tax cuts work : Haley comet yet to re-appear

[ QUOTE ]
There are 2 major problems with your analysis.

1) There has been exactly zero attacks since 9/11. This is irrefutable evidence that there has been exactly zero attacks since 9/11. Thus, one can say without a doubt that the Bush administration's actions have not increased attacks on US soil by Al Qaeda because there has been exactly zero attacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about that anthrax thing? You know, the stuff that was mailed to democratic senators who opposed the administration war line?
Old 02-23-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
vietnam, 10 years equaled 50k US dead. God you guys are totally uninformed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vietnam and Iraq are two different beasts.