Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Black People

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, it's well documented that whites from low income groups outscore blacks from upper income groups on SAT's, IQ tests, etc. So the SES argument does not work here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Citation please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sherman27...do you hear the crickets chirping? Don't think he has any data to back up his claims.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Poker Theorist Finds Himself At Ease Among Millionaire Black People on All Star-Weekend; Speculates About Silver Lining in War, Torture and Racism."

[/ QUOTE ]

In his defense, a title that long would not fit in the subject line.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may have missed the irony on that one.

Hopefully you didn't miss the point.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Poker Theorist Finds Himself At Ease Among Millionaire Black People on All Star-Weekend; Speculates About Silver Lining in War, Torture and Racism."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't miss or find it particularly intersting. But thanks for asking.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Blacks do NOT get longer/harsher sentences for comparable crimes than whites due to them being black. While racist organizations like the NAACP like to claim things like this, ITS ABSOLUTELY FALSE!!

[/ QUOTE ]

So post the name of an article, link or book that we can check up on this and stop yelling in caps.

[ QUOTE ]
How about O.J. Simpson?

[/ QUOTE ]

For a guy reading/posting on a poker site i hope you have a better understanding of sample size than this.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't miss or find it particularly intersting. But thanks for asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't ask you anything. Not sure where you manufactured me asking you a question, but I can assure you I never did. You were the one who found my title so uninteresting you put it in quotes and made a comment about it. Why don't you move along now to the next thing you find very uninteresting and comment on that.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
About time to test that hypothesis that blacks only have a lower IQ on average because on average they are too poor to pay for good education.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Skippy, our resident student to obtain a PHD in one of the social sciences could probably tell you that in England that blacks outpreform all other races in school achievement. That is across the board, not just the rich blacks but the poor and middle class as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's certainly quite surprising.

One thing about racial differences is actually quite funny, blacks hold all the world records in running, but none in swimming. How come?

Also since this is a site about poker, gambling and sports betting, I would suggest a bet in boxing. I think it's +EV to bet on the black guy, even if you don't have any other information on the fight.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:05 PM

This tread is useless without pics
Old 02-23-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
During this All Star weekend, I noticed that about 40% of the customers were black. Normally its about 15%. But in spite of the fact that the crowds were a lot younger and blacker than usual, I never detected a hint of prejudice. No incidents, or even subtle actions or aloofness. I understand that it is easier to be polite when you are a millionaire, but I'm old enough to remember when there was always at least some signs of discomfort in situations like these.

So does that mean that this country has become basically colorblind? Possibly. But I have another theory. I believe that the acceptance of black people has been accelerated by the fact that white people's prejudice are now focused on Middle Easterners (because of terrorism) and Hispanics (because of illegal aliens). Add that to the fact that whites have noticed how many black people have died, along with white people, both at the World Trade Center, and fighting in Iraq, and you have a situation where mild bigots look elsewhere. If so this is one small silver lining regarding the otherwise unpleasant events of the last few years. Agree or disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]

did it ever occur to you that in a city like Vegas you've got a lot more urbanization and that making a statement like you did is taking waaaaaay too small a sample size for such a blanket remark in regards to this country being color blind?

yeah, things have changed, i'm sure, but go visit franklin, tx or podunk, tn and see what it would be like to be black there.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i agree with this. it is about economics. o.j. had the money to get off the hook, but most blacks are not rich like o.j. and if you take a step back you will see that race and economics are linked. and to the person who mentioned cosby, i agree. though there are historical reasons for the lower economic status and problems in the black community this is not an excuse. so long as minorities keep blaming the oppressor, then the oppressor still has the power. it is sad that rappers go on and on about hos and bling. degrading women and supporting a diamond trade which hurts africans, while urging them to spend money on dumb things, rather than buying a home, investing, etc.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sherman27...do you hear the crickets chirping? Don't think he has any data to back up his claims

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of us actually have jobs and can't hang out here all day. At any rate Link. Scroll down to the section entitled
"Explaining the Black-White SAT Gap." My statements are backed up in The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education.

If you guys knew how to think for yourself, perhaps you could have looked for this information yourself. It took me about three minutes to find it.

Here's a few quotes for those of you too lazy to find them:

"Whites from families with incomes of less than $10,000 had a mean SAT score of 993. This is 129 points higher than the national mean for all blacks."

"• Whites from families with incomes below $10,000 had a mean SAT test score that was 61 points higher than blacks whose families had incomes of between $80,000 and $100,000."

" Blacks from families with incomes of more than $100,000 had a mean SAT score that was 85 points below the mean score for whites from all income levels, 139 points below the mean score of whites from families at the same income level, and 10 points below the average score of white students from families whose income was less than $10,000."

There's your citation, guys. And given the source I can't imagine how you would accuse me of bias. These facts have been well known to anyone who has studied this issue for years.

Do you guys know how to use Google? Get a clue, people. If you wanted to verify this information on your own how hard would it have been? If you want more citations go to the public library.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:24 PM

*grunch* I think prejudice is often born out of fear. We fear what we don't know, and I think it is likely that blacks and whites are now more familiar than they used to be.
Also, I think prejudice is often learned, and as it's not as culturally acceptable now to be prejudice as it used to be, which means that it's not condoned as much as it used to be.