Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Live tournament - Play more agressive as big stack?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for ur posts..will do it better next time. Yes the all in was preflop. Actually the guy next to me went all in, but he did also before with pocket fives and stuff, so I thought it was a reasonable call holding AQ. However this time he was holding AK, but I was lucky and hit the queen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. 55>AQ
Old 02-21-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
under 10 bb start shoving 1st in w decent hands

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best advice on this thread. You can't underestimate the value of 1st in vigorish. Its typically more important than actually having a decent hand.

Too often you see these threads where people's M is just too low when they start to make a move. You MUST keep your M at a comfortable range M=15+++ if you want win an MTT. If you drop to M=10, you should be open shoving any top 20% hand to steal the blinds. If you drop below M=7 you should be open shoving any 2 if you can be 1st in with MP2 or better.

Also, your AQ win was good for your stack because you got lucky. AQ is a great open raising hand, but according the the GAP concept, it is not a great shove calling hand.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:24 PM

The key is to always look at your stack in relation to the blinds. You also have to realize about when the blind level is going to go up and how that will change your stack size relative to the blinds. When my stack is 20X the blinds/antes I play however I feel like playing and make some moves with trash. At 15X I play solid hands for the most part. At 10X I tighten up a bit and realize I have to start taking some chances with hands before I get in trouble. At 5X I am in a Push or Fold mode. The key is to not let yourself dip below 5X and get in that push or fold mode. So I will take some chances and gamble when I dip between 5-10X because usually your stack is still big enough to do some damage. When you get below 5 people will look you up with a lot more hands.

See when the blinds = 1500 and you had 2500 you are not even at a 2. That is serious trouble. I prefer to make some moves while I still have a decent stack.