Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Am I such a terrible player, or are they so lucky?

If W$Sd used to be 54% over a large sample.This is variance combined with frustration (Too high AF factor)
Old 02-22-2007, 05:33 PM

oh yes there's definitely some tilt in there... not much but some for sure
Old 02-22-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Imo 64% is not "way" too high, rather 40% is too low for most players. I agree it could be a bit lower, somewhere between 55 and 60. That alone shouldn't matter too much I think. (not trying to be an arse though, thanks for the input. Just giving my opinion.)

Well, it's really just a check-up for 6max. I recently moved; my post flop skill is pretty good imo, was consistently beating 5/10 FR. My biggest problem seems to be the many horrible players at 2/4 6max... for some reason I'm having a hard time playing the maniacs. If I fold they bluff, and if I call they either have the goods, or hit a 3 outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've won very nicely at 5/10 and 10/20 over 200K hands with a fold figure of 37%. You asked for advice and then criticized someone who gave you it! It matters a lot. And to repeat. It matters a lot.

The 10/20 superbots who killed the game had a fold figure of 21%.

Oh, and good players can beat horrible players or they aren't good players!
Old 02-22-2007, 05:46 PM

i think it's because you suck so bad.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:20 PM

I just want to make sure u dont miss a few things HB, cuz i think u may be liable to and I think one of ur problems is obvious and has been mentioned but u missed it (its a tough one transitioning from fr to get i think). Ur flop and turn AFs are probably the reason u aren't crushing the [censored] maniacs at 2/4 6max. This has nothing to do with slowplaying in my book.

there are obviously times u SHOULD be calling and ARE raising (this is a fact). In 6max its important to not let ur strategy be exploitable and I would guess the way u play now is largely responsible for ur results (in conjunction obviously with a bad run of cards). It really is important very often to just call against the types of players u say u aren't doing well against. I see tags raise the flop against me all the time when they should just call and part of me laughs and thanks them in the long run.

in many spots, raising stops them from making further mistakes putting bets in behind. Many pots ur hands ok but u wouldnt want to cap his raise or feel good if he 3bets, and u have position so just call. Many pots u flop TPGK and he has initiative and 3bet u preflop and u have position, just call, sometimes raising the turn or river sometimes not at all. Same with many blind battles and steal situations very often vs many aggro opponents (let them bet for u, they will whether they have the goods or no hope, if u raise they only put more in with better than avg hands). In fr u play far less pots ( so ur range is stronger meaning u should often raise) and are often raising to protect ur hand (pots are more often multiway or larger so worth raising to protect ur hand). In 6max the value u lose to their bluffs by raising is often more valuable then the value u get by raising vs their range.

This is the reason u are probably seeing a trend of people either beating u in pots (u raise often and they get to put in more bets with real strong hands), sucking out ( u raise and they peel and either hit the turn or fold or they have a draw they'll see to the river either way uve only charged one extra sb), or they aren't showing down (u raise the flop and they bow out gracefully on the turn when they may have fired there and ck called with A hi or made a desperation bluff with a hopeless hand all the way thru the river). Basically ur style is letting them off easy when they have squat and costs u more than it should when they have a hand.

Go ahead and raise ur sets, 2 pairs ect right off the flop still, but sometimes with TP or 2nd pair A hi ect just call and bet if checked to esp in position and esp when they have either shown a bit of strength preflop or have initiative. Even against donks or pfr's occasionally call and raise the turn if they ll always fire 2 barrles (counter their exploitabilities).

also if ur often taking raise, bet, ck behind on the river lines or if ur raising for a freecard a couple times a session those are probably flaws in ur 6max game as well.

ur range is a lot wider in 6max than fr and ur much more often playing small pots, which is why being as aggressive postflop in some of the more marginal (or even seemingly good spots) is not as good a strategy in 6max as it is full ring in my opinion (particularly since the players are even more prone to bet bet betting with weak hands).

Knowing when exactly to just call will take time but u should be doing it alot more than u obivously are, i cant even tell u how much better call and bet if checked to is as a line so much more often than raising the flop in 6max, they will ck call down from the turn super light too i promise when they mite have just folded the turn after u raise the flop (or will just bet with a gutshot all 3 streets). There are probably times as well u are check-raising the flop oop when u should probably just ck call and showdown as cheap as possbile. Thats kind of a gray area though, for now just focus on calling in position, particularly vs 3betting blinds and go from there.

edit: i really do hope this advice helps u with ur game, and things turn around super quick for u. Ur stats do show a super leak in this department for 6max i promise u, its one a lot of tags have that I see daily and make note of/think about.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:22 PM

I misspoke in a few parts of the above and cant go back and edit now but the jist is clear I hope.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've won very nicely at 5/10 and 10/20 over 200K hands with a fold figure of 37%. You asked for advice and then criticized someone who gave you it! It matters a lot. And to repeat. It matters a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I already said I didn't mean it that way, I was simply trying to discuss it. I can't just "assume" things people say as true without discussing them. But I do believe now I should fold BB less. And no offense [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
i think it's because you suck so bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll try to do a better job tonight, honey [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I just want to make sure u dont miss a few things HB, cuz i think u may be liable to and I think one of ur problems is obvious and has been mentioned but u missed it

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, this is helpful. I did in fact change this as well, more often simply calling the flop with position to be able to raise the turn etc. I think you're right.

I changed some things yesterday and I actually had a pretty good session. I turned into a 29/20/2.6, with 45% att. steal and 45% fold BB. I still made a big loss on AA (50% won...) but overal I won. It's likely true that I have a raise/fold style of play; in FR that's often the correct line, but I'm starting to see you need to get a bit more tricky in 6max.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:30 PM

nice post dude! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nice post dude! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand this reply. Was it directed at me, or jstill? Yes, I agree his post was very nice. then I don't get the smiley? Sarcasm? Oh well lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2007, 02:06 PM

lol was to jstill [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] no sarcasm [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]