Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Starting over AND getting a student !!

[ QUOTE ]

Anybody who is interested in being my student please post in this thread the following;
1) What site do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]
FTP and Stars (sorry US Player)

[ QUOTE ]

2) What limits do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've played up to 100NL 6-max.

[ QUOTE ]

3) Experience?

[/ QUOTE ]
Few years ago, I was a decent $55 sng pushbot. been on a bit of a downswing and have been playing various levels of 6-max for the last year or so.

[ QUOTE ]

4) Goals with poker (for instance what limits are you trying to reach)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Would like to grind out $1000NL the way I used to do SNG's. Other goals, well have a son doing a year "abroad" (Freiburg) would love to take the family to visit him while he's away for a year. Also have a daughter with the chance to take a trip to Australia, would like for her to be able to do that.

[ QUOTE ]

5) You need a drive to improve, this is WAY more important than your current skill level. I don't mind to explain everything twice as long as you listen and try to understand and build this into your game. If this doesn't work out the way I want, I will take up a different student (this is a last resort type of thing).

[/ QUOTE ]
Drive? I'm always grinding, reading, and reviewing PT.. big pots etc. etc.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:05 PM

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring as well. I don't have as much name recognition as some here, but I have read the ssnl (and uNL) forums consistantly since my reg date. So, I guess here is my application.

Full Tilt

Right now, 25nl. But before 'the Fristing' I was at 100nl. I have an offline BR and would be willing to seed my online account to start at 50nl.

3) Experience?

I have played for about three years now, with the first one being strictly live play. I moved from limit to NL about a year ago, enjoyed moderate sucess, and then cashed out most of my winnings in the scare. Online I have played .25/.50 to 2/4 limit and 25NL - 200NL. Live I have played 2/4 to 10/20 limit and 1/2 NL (300 max buy in.)

I would like to play and beat 200NL by the end of this year, while taking shots at 400Nl. This may not be as ambitious as some, but I found that moving up without properly understanding the game has hurt me in the past. More importantly, though, is I would like to play better poker, overall, regardless of level and quality of opponenets. I feel that a lot of my earlier success was based on really bad opponents, not exceptional play on my part, and that is no longer acceptable to me. My knowledge of the game is not nearly what it should be, and I want to change this.

Other notes of interest: I am trying to rebuild my game from the ground up, which was one of the reasons for cashing out and starting over at the micros. I looked into getting a coach, but they were too pricey for me. I think I have a lot to offer as a student (intellegence, perseverence, willingness to learn, etc) and I think I could benifit a lot from the sort of thing endever you are undertaking. Don't hesitate to ask if you need more information.

Thanks for your consideration.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:34 AM

None but willing to join wherever.

n/a

3) Experience?

Live in person tournaments no limit hold em. Starting to get pretty good, and placing in tournies, but problems going beyond and winning. Finishing third and fourth place only, but haven't really played much at all so improving at a rapid pace. Buy ins for 150 bucks or less. Tournies only for last few months before played w friends for a few years, but that is very different.

I don't have a real job and don't want one. I invest and am very disciplined and have done very well with that. But it really doesn't take up much of my time anymore, as I am more of a long term investor than daytrader type. So I would like to make this what i do. Want to hone my skills on internet games, but more interested in conquering live tournament play.

5) You need a drive to improve, this is WAY more important than your current skill level. I don't mind to explain everything twice as long as you listen and try to understand and build this into your game. If this doesn't work out the way I want, I will take up a different student (this is a last resort type of thing).

I am very intelligent and a quick learner. I am less experienced than other posters, but this means that I am also a nearly blank slate. Score outstandingly well on logic and i.q. tests and I am pretty decent with math. However I need to be more aggressive. I take criticism well and love the game. For in person play I have the advantage of being an attractive woman so I don't get much respect at the table, but that allows me to clean up when I have a monster hand.

6) I am considering posting some of our conversations here in uNL and ssnl if they contain a good discussion, if you guys are interested in this anyway. Hmmm actually this might make a good pooh bah post where I basically record my students progress and the pitfalls we experience together.

What I am looking for in a mentor:

1. Honesty and bluntness. Willingness to hurt my feelings if needed.

2. True knowledge of the game and a proven track record.

3. I would prefer a mentor who is located in NYC. If you don't come to NYC often, then perhaps there is someone else on this board who may want a protege. We could barter investment advice for help with my poker skills.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:07 PM

Is there allready anything known? This is exciting (weeee)
Old 02-24-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there allready anything known? This is exciting (weeee)

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha glad its exciting for you, it means I'm doing something good wich makes me in turn feel good.

A while back (you might have missed it) I posted that I am going to pick 5-10 people I am interested in and add them to aim to get to know them better. If I am going to pick a student, and get serious with this it has to 'click' otherwise its wasting time for me and you.

[ QUOTE ]

None but willing to join wherever.

n/a

3) Experience?

Live in person tournaments no limit hold em. Starting to get pretty good, and placing in tournies, but problems going beyond and winning. Finishing third and fourth place only, but haven't really played much at all so improving at a rapid pace. Buy ins for 150 bucks or less. Tournies only for last few months before played w friends for a few years, but that is very different.

I don't have a real job and don't want one. I invest and am very disciplined and have done very well with that. But it really doesn't take up much of my time anymore, as I am more of a long term investor than daytrader type. So I would like to make this what i do. Want to hone my skills on internet games, but more interested in conquering live tournament play.

I am very intelligent and a quick learner. I am less experienced than other posters, but this means that I am also a nearly blank slate. Score outstandingly well on logic and i.q. tests and I am pretty decent with math. However I need to be more aggressive. I take criticism well and love the game. For in person play I have the advantage of being an attractive woman so I don't get much respect at the table, but that allows me to clean up when I have a monster hand.

6) I am considering posting some of our conversations here in uNL and ssnl if they contain a good discussion, if you guys are interested in this anyway. Hmmm actually this might make a good pooh bah post where I basically record my students progress and the pitfalls we experience together.

What I am looking for in a mentor:

1. Honesty and bluntness. Willingness to hurt my feelings if needed.

2. True knowledge of the game and a proven track record.

3. I would prefer a mentor who is located in NYC. If you don't come to NYC often, then perhaps there is someone else on this board who may want a protege. We could barter investment advice for help with my poker skills.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm affraid I can't really help with tournament play, in fact my friends always joke that I suck more at tournaments than they do (they'r the regular casual play crowd). The scary part is that they might very well be correct.

However a lot of the important concepts in cash games also translate to tournaments, I might even be able to share the love for cash games. That is ofcourse if I pick you, nothing is decided yet. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

To everyone;
I am going to say this once again, motivation is the deciding factor. Ofcourse its awesome that you have above average intelligence, hell you might even be a genius. But the amazing (or crappy part, depends how you look at it) about poker is that everybody can succeed but everybody can also just as easily fail. I might push you a bit closer to succeeding and reaching your goals, but I can't do anything but push you. YOU have to work for it, YOU have to do the study. I can only guide you...
Wich is why I want some one who's motivated to work on himself and his game, if I do this I want you to succeed. And if you have above average intelligence thats amazing, but if your not motivated to improve than well I have no use for you. This is not a personal attack on anyone, please keep posting your strong points. But please don't forget the weaknesses of your personality those interest me just as much (if not more) than your strengths...

This all might seem like I think I'm above you and that I think I'm better. In fact I'm fairly sure that if I read the text I'm typing now 1 year ago, I'd be thinking WOW he's out of his [censored] mind!! What the hell is he thinking??
Well its okay if you think that, your apparantly not ready yet wich is totally fine. I'm looking for someone who thinks; hmmm that kinda makes sense, I dont know exactly what he means but I might do in eventually. Perhaps this entire experience really did teach him a tiny tiny bit of knowledge and wisdom (wisdom, lol jezus I'm 20 years old wtf??? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])...
Old 02-24-2007, 03:23 PM

Default advice on reading list please

I know I have many holes in my game. I need to be more aggressive and protect my hands better. Among the many problems which I am not even aware of. What should I be reading? Really liked Harrington's books. I recently ordered (should be arriving any day now) Theory of poker, Super System, and also the dvd from Annie Duke. Is this a good start? Any other recommendations?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: advice on reading list please

[ QUOTE ]
I know I have many holes in my game. I need to be more aggressive and protect my hands better. Among the many problems which I am not even aware of. What should I be reading? Really liked Harrington's books. I recently ordered (should be arriving any day now) Theory of poker, Super System, and also the dvd from Annie Duke. Is this a good start? Any other recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]
Read and post more on 2+2, these forums really are the best place to learn poker. In fact I can't remember anything from the books I read (I read like 2 or so) but every time I read 2+2 I pick up something that makes me go 'AH so that's how it works !!'. The information might not be so easily found as in a book, but the true gems are on these forums.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:43 PM

well to improve my chances to get to the final 5-10 persons you will choose, here a little more about my motivation, cause u said that is the most important.
I have a reasonably long history of online gaming, a lot was first person shooter games, and I always wanted to improve at those. That does not mean I wanted to be the best, but I wanted to get better. that is the same with poker. I dont have the plan to play with the pros in half a year, but what does matter is that I am getting better at it instead of being satisfied with the level I play on now. We will see how far I can come, but I wont quit before I know what is the max I can get out of this. Here comes my weakness in to play. Like most people I have a lack of selfmotivating power. If I have to do something for my self it is a lot harder than to do something with or for another. I experience this in my study as well as in other things like poker. That is the whole reason I started a blog, to create a online "consience"that will motivate me. Posting on my blog is like telling the outside world what my plans are and updating on the status of that plan. It feels more like someone is watchin me, although the visit rate at my blog is fairly low. Still it feels like people will read it and will be dissapointed somehow if I dont reach what I promised.
In that way I think a poker coach will not only teach me a lot, but will also motivate me to get the best out of my self. Just because I will discuss my achievements with him. Cause if you know he will discuss some hands with you and you did not even look at them, you feel like an idiot.
Dont get me wrong I dont thin you, if you ever become my poker coach will have take out the stick and give me a asswhooping, hell no. But just the fact we have a student teacher relationship will motivate me extra to get the best out of my self.
I think my idea about a poker coach realy fits ur idea about a student, cause in the opening post you say, you want a student so you can oblige yourself to realy get into the theory again, cause u will have to explain it to ur student. I think this can be a system that works the same for both student as teacher, both will gain from the cooperation.
Hope this explains a little my motivation.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:47 PM

ok i havent posted yet because i see all these free coach threads here but dont feel like i ever have a shot to be chosen so i stopped reading them. this one has been on the front page a while so i finally clicked it and i see you are taking multiple people so ill give it a shot.

Full Tilt

50NL 6-max

3) Experience?

bar poker and home game tourneys since the moneymaker boom. been playing online going on 3 months, started with 150 and lost that because i thought i was better than i was and played break even 10+1 SNGs until i fell to 50 bucks. I was really turned off with SNGs because the last 5 or so times i had made ITM i placed 3rd, multiple times with big chip leads that got obliterated by high blinds push or fold poker. Switched to cash, liked it a lot more but ended up BUSTO 7 dollars before my bonus paid out because i hit my first cash downswing(and i was breakeven). Redeposited 100 dollars and have since worked it up to being overrolled for 50NL. Ive taken 2 shots at 100NL, played bad the first shot, ran bad the second shot.

Plan is to be playing comfortably at least 200NL by july/august and move out west to NV or CA where poker is legal, im already "pro" but barely.

I play thousands and thousands of hands(100k a month), I 8 table now but plan to cut down to 4 when i hit 100NL. I grind pretty hard and try to study and improve my game constantly. Only have 1 buddy i talk about poker with over AIM atm. I like to discuss poker and ask questions that clarify reasoning etc. I understand things pretty easily when explained and also explain things well myself.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:52 PM

This looks like a pretty decent opportunity. I unfortunately can't play on party, as I'm from the U.S. I play on FTP. I've been playing poker for about 3 years now, however I started out playing micro-limit games and hadn't really improved. Recently I decided to dedicate myself to getting better because I went to raptor's New Years party and was immensely jealous. I restarted playing the 2nd of january 6-12 tabling 5.50-11 sngs on ftp and ground my br up to around ~1k. The real purpose for that was to fund learning 6 max NL. I've been playing NL50 for about a month now and have improved immensely over when I first started. I play about 90k hands a month. Basically goal is to be the best possible NLHE player I can. I have no plans to stop advancing in limits or settling when I reach a certain point. A couple 2+2ers who can vouch for me, travestyfund, raptor517, deuce2high, bonafone.

Craig
Closed Thread