Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Preflop Limping then calling a Raise

All,

I had a schizophrenic nite last nite up 55BB on one table down 30 on the other two at .50-1 full table. Pretty annoying stuff.

I think one place where my game leaks is when I limp with a hand and there is a subsequent raise. I tend to call these raises very loosely, since it is usually correct to put one more in, but then on most flops I just fold.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP2 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (or K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], or 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for instance)
UTG calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 raises</font>, 3 folds, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8.5SB, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, Hero ????

The vast majority of the time I will fold here, unless I hit something. But most of the time I feel powerless. I know many villains raise with broad holdings (I certainly do) and many of us will c-bet an A-hi flop on general principle.

Does anyone have any insight into these situations generally? I noticed how much I struggle with them, because I am loath to limp-fold, unless it is more than 1 bet back to me. Especially when it is the button, SB or BB that is raising.

Thanks

Todd
Old 02-23-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Preflop Limping then calling a Raise

Seems like an easy fold on the flop with any of those hands, Todd. This seems like it might be more a psychological issue.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:17 PM

Folding to one bet when you limped and it's raised behind you is bad. Always!

Of course you'll have to tread carefully when you get raised and there's nothing wrong with folding on the flop. After all, what distinguishes you from many players at your stakes is that you DO fold those 2-gutters or small PPs etc. when you don't have the odds to continue...
Old 02-23-2007, 01:19 PM

fwiw its worth, i think they're all easy folds too.

there's no shame in a limp-fold.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:36 PM

Todd,

With the initial limp your getting 3.5:1. After the raise and callers your getting 7.5:1. When you limp and are raised and its one back to you you almost always are getting a better overlay why would you fold?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Todd,

With the initial limp your getting 3.5:1. After the raise and callers your getting 7.5:1. When you limp and are raised and its one back to you you almost always are getting a better overlay why would you fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont want to fold preflop, what I want to know is if there is a better way to play post flop, on those flops that miss you.

Knowing that preflop raiser misses flop, when heads up, do we sometimes raise a board like 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] with air, knowing that PFR will usually not have hit the board, and may let go?

It just seems passive to call the raise preflop, and just fold or ck-fold on the flop when we dont hit.

There are other options:

Heads up, with position, I float the flop and raise turn?
Raise or Ck/raise an all baby flop?

Does anyone make a habit of contesting these situations, especially when HU?

Todd
Old 02-23-2007, 01:53 PM

Todd,

Heads up it completely depends on the villian, our history with him and board texture. With a crowd you just play it straight. If you limp early because it is the type of table that warrants it but it doesn't pan out o well.