Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Black People

[ QUOTE ]

This forum does not allow stupid statements.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you feel the same way about stupid questions?
Old 02-23-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is how I was brought up as well. As for skippy..who says that blacks have a lower IQ? I would bet my bankroll that I trash you in IQ points my friend. My children (5) (8) are probably ahead of you too.

[/ QUOTE ]

A very controversial book, The Bell Curve, suggested that blacks, ON AVERAGE, have a lower IQ.

I emphasize on average because the book also made it clear, that while this average difference existed, it was quite tiny relative to the individual differences from one person to another (regardless of race).

If I recall correctly, since that book's publication, the average difference has either completely dissipated or narrowed from that minuscule about before even further.

The point is, if you are going to judge someone's IQ, race is a relative pathetic indicator.

R. Sherman
Old 02-23-2007, 10:49 AM

So I guess the term "culturally biased" is not in your wheelhouse?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:18 AM

Lol. I am glad I saw you said that. After I posted my last one, I realized that I forgot an important topic.

In my opinion, note this is opinion, the Intelligence Quotient is a relatively bad name. What is intelligence? There can be no clear-cut definition. Society makes it up. Who makes up the IQ test? Typically a bunch of really smart white males. They determine what they think is important (and in its defense, the IQ test is predictive of important life outcomes) and put those items on the test.

It is likely no coincidence that white males tend to do better on average then.

In terms of cultural bias, absolutely. Any test is biased by the people who make it up. Additionally, it is important to recognize that racial differences are often confounded with socioeconomic status (SES) differences. Thus, when one finds a differences between race and IQ scores, no causation can be inferred. It is quite possible that SES makes up the difference rather than race.

Beyond this, it is also quite clear the SES is predictive of important life outcomes. So, IQ scores may refelct SES rather than intelligence. No one really knows.

R. Sherman
Old 02-23-2007, 11:32 AM

shermn27,

Since white males made up the test, why do Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese score higher than white males?

Secondly, it's well documented that whites from low income groups outscore blacks from upper income groups on SAT's, IQ tests, etc. So the SES argument does not work here.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:01 PM

dragon...show me a link to this "well documented" information. What your saying doesn't make sense. But maybe that's the way it is in Kansas.

Many of you have no clue what it is like being black in the US. You talk about IQ and and other factors such as economic status as reasons for blacks not meeting the "standards" that whites have. Something many of you haven't taken into consideration is "opportunity". In my lifetime my people have been prevented from doing things that whites take for granted. In my lifetime it is "well documented" and proven fact that African American people were denied rights such. The term "old money" does not exist in the black community. White people talk of wealth...blacks talk of being rich. That is because the ability to make lots of money is new. By "new" I mean within the last 30-40 years. That may not seem like much to you people but how many more years have whites had more opportunity? How many years were whites looked upon as second class? How many years were whites denied entry into major colleges? Oh...that's right..you weren't.
I am not making excuses and feel that any person needs to work to make thier lives and situations better but for you people who have no clue, no insight, and no experience being an African American in this society make ignorant comments and spew your questionable stats into a forum such as this, it feeds the ignorance that is already there. People take what you say and repeat it even though there is nothing to support your claims.
It is truly a shame that Sklansky, a person that I have respected, would make a post like this. WOW...Black people can behave.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:24 PM

I think he was commenting more on the behavior of white people.

I don't think there's anything wrong with his post. I found it disturbing, until you joined the conversation, that his post led to a bunch of white people bashing black people.

You have made the thread more interesting and informative, to me anyway.

Really this leads to the next question. Where are the comments from middle-easterners?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So does that mean that this country has become basically colorblind? Possibly. But I have another theory. I believe that the acceptance of black people has been accelerated by the fact that white people's prejudice are now focused on Middle Easterners (because of terrorism) and Hispanics (because of illegal aliens). Add that to the fact that whites have noticed how many black people have died, along with white people, both at the World Trade Center, and fighting in Iraq, and you have a situation where mild bigots look elsewhere. If so this is one small silver lining regarding the otherwise unpleasant events of the last few years. Agree or disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your theory states a suggestion of hope that racial situations have improved because people are now hating Middle Easterners and illegal aliens more and blacks less. By definition your theory is a racist one. How is it a silver lining that people are now hating other people? How is it a silver lining that as you say "bigots are looking elsewhere"? War, torture, killing and racism towards thousands of Middle Easterners is much more than what you causually refer to as "unpleasant events". That you feel more comfortable at the Bellagio around millionaire all-stars and the crowds that follow them around is a unique setting very far removed from the realities of most Americans. Maybe it is a silver lining for you because you feel more comfortable in this paricular setting, but I think this is a very narrow and self-absorbed and sad view for a human being to entertain in light of the events of the past few years.

It is ironic that you called this thread "Black People." A more appropriate title would have been "Poker Theorist Finds Himself At Ease Among Millionaire Black People on All Star-Weekend; Speculates About Silver Lining in War, Torture and Racism."
Old 02-23-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, it's well documented that whites from low income groups outscore blacks from upper income groups on SAT's, IQ tests, etc. So the SES argument does not work here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Citation please.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Poker Theorist Finds Himself At Ease Among Millionaire Black People on All Star-Weekend; Speculates About Silver Lining in War, Torture and Racism."

[/ QUOTE ]

In his defense, a title that long would not fit in the subject line.