Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 03:55 AM

Default Re: $100NL Flopped Quad A\'s . Best strategy to extract $$ ?

[ QUOTE ]
i dont like a flop check, If we all off a sudden come to life when a high card hits then we look even stronger

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

Look, in situations like this you're going to be very lucky to get much value. Regardless of what everyone says, it's wishful thinking that Kx is going to call a huge river overbet. When three of a high card flops, everyone almost audibly thinks, "Where's the case card?"

So I vastly prefer building a pot on the flop. In fact, I would even bet the flop and check the turn. Now it looks like you were taking a stab with your 99, got called, and fear the case ace. If you're lucky, the king will now bet. Even then check/raising is probably going to scare them out, but calling isn't great either. So call as the lesser of the evils.

Then bet 1/2 to 3/4 pot on the river, because they'll get scared that you're slowplaying. (Cognitive dissonance is your friend against a thinking opponent. Everyone would slowplay flopped quads, so you can't have quads -- wait, can you?!) By now the pot's grown enough that you're getting some value. But note this is the opposite of the case where NLHE:TAP says a huge overbet may be good (the T7 nut straight). There the nut hand is inconspicuous, and there's a good chance the second-nuts thinks it's best. Here the second-nuts may think it's OK, but not against a huge overbet.

I don't think you get any value with a river push as played. Maybe the ace of cups calls you for a split.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:04 AM

Incidentally, I half expect that you're going to tell us that you're really the one with Kx here. I'm quite sure that had you posted this reversing rolls, so that you're holding the Kx facing a huge river overbet, you'd get 60 replies of "Easy call. No one EVER has quads." 2+2 opinion seems to hold that no bet is ever too much to pay off with the second nuts, excepting 9x on a KQJTr board. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So I think 2+2 expert opinion wrongly holds that your opponents will have the same difficulty you would in believing that quads could REALLY be out there.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:48 PM

PF: If you play LAG, the A7s is maybe okay, if your focus is on post flop play. A7s in EP though is not tight, for certain.

Flop: a small bet here (that looks like a probe bet) might be okay, and it builds a pot that will be harder to let go later for some.

OTOH, given the preflop play, a check is okay too, letting more opponents improve. But the nice thing about betting the flop is that the opponent will think "oh, no one bets an ace here - this must be a bluff or a pocket pair".

Turn: If you bet the flop and were called, now you could get tricky and CHECK. Check call and open push the river will be confusing to your opponents, and a confused opponent is more likely to make a mistake. If you made this play and a diamond fell no the river, you'd stack him for certain, since he may think you're donking with a flush.

Or if you check and opponent pots it on the turn, you could push over right there. If you check turn and opponent check behind, then you do have to lead the river.

But a check call and a strong river lead could be baffling enough to the villain to induce a serious mistake. Or possibly a check/push on river could work.

Since these spots happen so infrequently, I think you either need to play it strong, or play it tricky. The play above is neither, it feels more weak/passive.

Myself, I like using these rare hands to be tricky - since they happen so infrequently, playing them incorrectly will not make a huge dent in your hourly rate.

AB
Old 02-23-2007, 01:01 AM

Well thanks for all the feedback , alot of great posts on this topic, betting on the flop definitely seems to be the most profitable play, allowing more ways to extract money on turn and river while building the pot. Oh and AQKJ10, I was actually holding the Ace, but it would have been interesting to see the response if I had posted from the opposite end, holding a King.