5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $24.50
Hero: $63.10
Button: $77.10
SB: $51.25
BB: $24.50

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2.25</font>, Button calls, 3 folds.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($5.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $4</font>, Button calls. <font color="blue"> standard cbet </font>

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($13.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $9</font>, Button calls.<font color="blue"> taking a bet/fold line on turn. i just pulled ahead of 55-99 so this is a bet for both value and protection.</font>

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($31.75, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $31.75</font>, Hero says wtf . . .

so even though my draw came in any reasonable bet is going to commit me to the pot. i dont see him calling any worse hand so i checked intending to call a river bet. of course i wasnt expecting a psb. thoughts?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: T9s gets a surprise on the river

My guess is he has a flush. Maybe a set. Against unknown, I think a fold is best. Although in the moment I'm not sure if I could fold.

I lead river for 1/2 pot and fold to a raise.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:10 PM

Ok, here's my bad advice. Anyone please tell me if you disagree:

Probably a better flush with a big suited ace. So fold.

Would he have called preflop with a 3? Not very likely unless it was a suited ace or suited connector.

If he's a loose player he could have called with 34 suited and flopped a monster (but very unlikely) and hoped you catched a hand by the river.

He could have called with 6s7s and he's got a real nice hand... Maybe that explains the enthousiastic bet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Or 7s8s as well and you'd have him beat.

Or (kinda stupid and unlikely, but I've seen it happen) A2 suited and you've got him beat unless he's got spades. I think he puts you on an overpair (unless raise suited connectors from early position all the time) and he doesn't think you cought the flush since you are checking the river. So he'd probably bet the straight here. But why so big? Ok, rule this one out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Against a stranger fold. Against a loose player make a (probably bad) call if you can miss the money [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] and see what he's got. You might even win and teach him a lesson [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

A blocking bet on the river would not have been a bad idea unless you are planning to call or raise a big bet. He will probably only raise a better flush or a hand that beats the flush, but call the rest. Therefore you can fold against a raise if you bet the river and get some value out of it if he calls.

GL
Old 02-22-2007, 09:13 PM

Note that he loses to 76s and to 62s, which actually sucks a lot since the only flushes he beats is 78s, 72s, and 82s.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is he has a flush. Maybe a set. Against unknown, I think a fold is best. Although in the moment I'm not sure if I could fold.

I lead river for 1/2 pot and fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

my only problem with this is that when he calls a river bet its a boat or a better flush always. my hand is too weak to bet for value but to strong to bluff.

i had a hard time putting him on a flush here for 2 reasons.

#1 i hold T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. this means he's called a naked fd to the river.

#2 he's potted the river. would even the nut flush pot the river? wouldnt he value bet a nut flush/2nut flush on the river?

i had a hard time putting him on a boat for the same as #2 above. given this i think this is an easier fold if villain bets 20 on the river rather than pot.