Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 01:47 PM

Default keeping the fish happy

xpost from home poker, but i thought you guys may have some insight on this too as it pertains to more than just home poker...

I run a home game. There's 5 or 6 regular players, and about 15 possible players, so I can usually keep a game going with between 7-9 players on any Friday night. Me and 3 of the regulars have been playing together since my sophomore year (i'm a senior now), so needless to say, we know each other's play...

Pretty much all of the other players that come, are fish. The game is small: $.1/.25, and everyone buys in for $20. By the end of the night, however, usually the game gets pretty big. Two weeks ago we ended the night with about $600 on the table between the six of us playing at the end of the night (which was the six regulars). The game is usually a lot of fun though, and I always end up getting "drunk" and "playing crazy and wrecklessly". I'm sure you know why those are in quotes.

My question is this: from those 8-10 other guys besides the regulars, most of them come to the game for two hours, drop anywhere from $20-$60, and then leave. It's like a reverse hit and run, and I feel like because a few of them have done this three or four times, that soon they're going to get fed up. I'm not going to play soft, but I would like them to just book ONE win so that they can always say, "man, I'm just running bad. I mean, look at that one time..." but as it is now they come, drop their money, and leave. Other than praying to the poker gods to have the fish cold deck other guys 8 times, is there anything I can do in running the game to keep the fish happy and coming back?

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: keeping the fish happy

better booze and women, I'm in chi and play in a couple home games, i'm actually in dupage naperville to be specific. Let me know if you have a slot open at any time, and also I could bring in a couple more fish so they can have a little community.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:20 PM

well we're up in evanston, so i don't know if you guys wanna make the trip, but we could use some fish [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. however, i'll PM you when i go home for spring break (i live in downers grove) because i hate [censored] sitting at home for my spring break since it doesn't line up with anyone else's.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:56 PM

Kmon from SS?

I play, too, albeit for higher stakes. If you guys ever have a bigger game, let me know.

[ QUOTE ]
better booze and women, I'm in chi and play in a couple home games, i'm actually in dupage naperville to be specific. Let me know if you have a slot open at any time, and also I could bring in a couple more fish so they can have a little community.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-19-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
better booze and women

[/ QUOTE ]

keep them happy with plenty of food and drink, and a friendly atmosphere. as long as they are having fun, they may not mind (or at least won't focus on)the losing.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:05 PM

don't get mad at them when they suck out
Old 02-21-2007, 03:12 AM

ya, have a lot of food and plenty of drinks. hot waitress are nice as well
Old 02-21-2007, 04:40 AM

If you're willing to play limit there's a much better chance that they will book the occasional win. They may not like limit though, not enough like "poker on TV." You ought to still have a huge edge overall.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:42 PM

Got a hot girlfriend? Have her dress 'nice'and bring her friends. Make it a party. I guarantee guys will donate money just to ogle her. Or find some hot chicks to "hang out at the game" and give them a cut. Doesn't have to be much. Lots of girls will hang out with guys for free drinks and a little money. Plus, it will take the fishes minds off the game. Please don't invite me.

Hell, you've just talked me into doing it. You're a genius!

KE
Old 02-22-2007, 09:29 PM

strippers. sell drugs.