Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Boring Hand.

I'd pop him on the river...
Old 02-22-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your putting a villain with these stats and flop donking on a gutshot?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was more a quick example of "villain is trying to steal the pot with a holding that has little or no equity."

[ QUOTE ]

Also I don't know where you are getting 1 sb, there are 5.5 sbs when it comes to you on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

1sb is what villain put in on the flop. If you fold him out by raising you are only getting him to put in 1sb after the flop. Sorry if that was worded poorly.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm going to assume a TAG with these stats and this action has at least a pair right now. I'm happy to take it down fast as opposed to futting around and letting him hit his kicker or trip up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't assume he has a pair. Likely, but not a given. You should not be happy with just taking this down. Poker is not about winning pots, its about winning $$$. You have an very strong hand HU to which he is likely drawing dead. You want him in the pot. You want him giving up that extra BB. Just one extra BB/hour is the difference between a great win rate and a mediocre one. Small pots are a great place to try and claim that since most players play small pots poorly.

If you read him strongly for an ace (and more than likely a smaller one), great, raise him and get money that way. If you think he will play a smaller pair or something nutty the same way - just CALL.

Poker is a game of capitalizing on other's mistakes. If you get villain to put in 1.5BB or 2.5BB into a pot that he was drawing nearly dead in, you have induced a HUGE mistake. In the long run the bets you get into the pot as a huge favorite are your biggest source of income.

[ QUOTE ]

I guess it would also depend on OPs table image, if he has been lagging it up, playing it fast is how he gets paid off, if he has been a nit, it might be better to wait to jack the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Image and reads are very important here.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:43 PM

I'd rather keep control of the hand by raising the flop and leading out on the turn. Some of that is just for table image, so my preflop raises get some respect, and I can increase my blind stealing possibilities.

I suppose raising the turn would also accomplish this, but it also runs some risk of the villain getting lucky.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I suppose raising the turn would also accomplish this, but it also runs some risk of the villain getting lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

:sigh:
Old 02-23-2007, 03:00 AM

Some awful advice in this thread... Too tired to go through it all, but this is a situation where we don't give two craps about letting the oppponet see more cards. We just want the most bets to get in as possible so we take the line that will do this. This depends entirely on the opponent.

Questions to consider:
How likely he is to bet for you on any street with air, how likely he is to call your raise on the flop/turn/river.

Generally most opponents will fire two barrels with air or a hand weaker than a pair of aces, the third barrel is highly dependent on the player.
I would not wait to the river against a TAG. They very rarely 3 barrel bluff rag boards at lower limits (for good reason). Against over agressive LAG's or spewtards waiting to the river is the best play.

Some opponents will fold to a big street raise but will call down a flop raise.

Some better opponents dont give credit to a flop raise because you SHOULD be raising the turn/river, and they may know that you know this. Therefore your playing deceptivly by thinking on the level above them and get more action.
This requires a thinking opponent though that knows your play. This isn't common online.

Basically we shouldnt even consider about being behind until you get reraised on a big street or capped on the flop.