Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Send an email.

[ QUOTE ]
. However, i doubt anyone else in the Democratic party has much interest in advancing such a bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

The WA state HB 1243 (affirmative defense for unlawful gambling done recreationally in one's home) was sponsored by 4 Dems and 1 GOP. This issue doesn't really fit into one party's dogma.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:23 PM

Barney Frank for president. I need to design the t shirt and maybe a chip set.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barney Frank will never run for a different office in his life. So he is willing to stand up for any issue he wants. However, i doubt anyone else in the Democratic party has much interest in advancing such a bill. Its only supporters are libertarians (and they probably dont care that much about the issue and poker players - which is a very small group.)

Its good someone comes out in favor of it. However, i doubt its very meaningful. Its not like this is going to the top of the Dems. agenda.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frank is chairman of the House Financial Services Commitee. He is very influential on this issue. Banks are not happy about the law as it comes on top of increasingly onerous regulation and tranaction reporting under the Anti-Terror acts of the 1990's and then the PATRIOT Act. The banks are the best hope of stoppng this impending additional regulation of money transfers. they hate it, it costs them money and they have the ear of Congress.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its only supporters are libertarians (and they probably dont care that much about the issue and poker players - which is a very small group.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Think again. Many libertarian sites have been reporting on this issue since last summer. Perhaps you should look into it before using your jump to conclusions mat.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:15 PM

Im somewhat skeptical. But at least the banks have alot of power in Washington and Im sure Frank would not mind getting on their good site and stopping a bill he strongly opposes anyway.

From reading alot of stories in September, every indication was Frist was going to put in a massive push on this bill to appeal to Christian voters. So while the i gaming bill might not have been at the top of the Republican agenda there certainly was some powerful political groups who wanted the bill passed. Hopefully the banks have similar infulence. However, im sure they are working just as hard or even harder on making the regulations as weak as possible.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:26 PM

Just a stupid question, because I really hope Franks does this and is able to pull it off. But if the banks are so powerful, why didn't they stop it before it ever was made a bill? Or even brought up for vote? I know nothing about the banking industry, but to me it really doesnt look like the banks care one way or another and really are not doing anything to stop this. In fact with some reports on this site it looks more like the banks are working to stop these transactions. ex: some of the folks reporting banks not funding their ePass accounts due to the fact that ePass can be used to fund i gaming sites.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Rumors about effort to repeal UIGEA

Barney Frank is the maaan. He's been on our side the whole time. We ought to have an actblue or something for him.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Rumors about effort to repeal UIGEA

[ QUOTE ]
Barney Frank is the maaan. He's been on our side the whole time. We ought to have an actblue or something for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.actblue.com/page/poker http://www.actblue.com/page/poker
Old 02-22-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Frank is chairman of the House Financial Services Commitee.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this bit. If he is currently working on getting it repealed, he'd be doing it because of pressure from banks (not because of his belief that "adults can do what they want" - rofl) Which would mean there's real momentum/money behind this.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its good someone comes out in favor of it. However, i doubt its very meaningful. Its not like this is going to the top of the Dems. agenda.

[/ QUOTE ]

The crap that started this wasn't at the top of the Republicans agenda, either. Basically just Frist, Kyl, Goodlatte and Leach and it took a sticking a rider in a bill at 10 minutes 'til midnight to get it done.

Never say never...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. I might be sounding like a broken record to some, but the UIGEA was in Speaker Hastert's published "American Values Agenda" (or something like that) that was basically the Top 10 goals for the Republican Congress last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected.