Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Harrah\'s decides ZERO ads allowed from .net sites for the WSOP...

In regard to the speculation here that Harrah's would prohibit .net logos on player wear, it looks like they've decided that they don't need to go that far:

"Nor does our position impact players. In fact, we expect to post the 2007 WSOP rules and registration procedures on worldseriesofpoker.com next week that will contain a new logo policy allowing players to wear apparel with dot.net logos as well as multiple and larger logos. "
Old 02-22-2007, 02:42 PM

You're right Pmulry, I didn't read the story that throughly. I just assumed that would apply to players also. But hopefully they will ban middle-age white guys from wearing those Full Tilt jerseys.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this isn't another sign of the end of poker I don't know what is!

[/ QUOTE ]

how so?
granted internet poker is taking some big blows but this statement is over the top.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:24 PM

I will bet my Bankroll it will be well under 5000. I am not sure they will break 3500.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
multiple and larger logos

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like everyone at the final table is gonna look like a nascar driver.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In regard to the speculation here that Harrah's would prohibit .net logos on player wear, it looks like they've decided that they don't need to go that far:

"Nor does our position impact players. In fact, we expect to post the 2007 WSOP rules and registration procedures on worldseriesofpoker.com next week that will contain a new logo policy allowing players to wear apparel with dot.net logos as well as multiple and larger logos. "

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never understood the .net/.com/black tape nonsense. Like if they just wore a shirt that said "Full Tilt" instead of "Full Tilt.whatever" that no one would know what it was all about.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will bet my Bankroll it will be well under 5000. I am not sure they will break 3500.

[/ QUOTE ]

Six months ago I thought they would drop 20% and still be in the neighborhood of 7000. Not even close now. 3500 tops.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Six months ago I thought they would drop 20% and still be in the neighborhood of 7000. Not even close now. 3500 tops.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right with 3,500 being tops. I really can't get a good feel of how many I think will play in the ME.

There are several unknown factors. The biggest being how hard is Harrah's going to try to keep the online sites from registering players?????

Online sites haven't been able to register players the past couple years, but they found a way to do it anyway. Is Harrahs going to make sure they stop that or not?

That's the biggest question, but the other big question is what exactly is the impact of the online sites? Poker rooms in LA, Vegas, and AC are still busting at the seems with players, as far as I know. WPT events are hanging in there.

Last year I think the total number of online qualifiers was only around 2,000 players. So that's 6,900 that got in some other way.

If people can't get their money out of the sites, then that would have a big effect. I fully expect that problem to be solve soon...like next month, so I don' think that will impact the WSOP.

I wouldn't be shocked if there were only 3,000 and nor would I be shocked if there were 6,000.

There were only 869 when Moneymaker won, so hey, we're still way ahead of just several years ago.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:18 PM

That's a really good question. I know that Absolute took care of buying in their players and pros (admittedly, there weren't that many of them, maybe a couple dozen) by having a couple of their employees stand in line the day before the start of the ME and paying cash for the ME buyins. The WSOP didn't do anything to prevent those AP employees from paying for the players.

Could Harrah's prevent third-party buyins by requiring each player to pay for themselves and present a gov't ID at the time they pay? Sure. But I guess the question is how much do they really want to do it?

I think we're all on tenterhooks about the number of ME participants this year. Harrah's is still telling people that they're pitching for the GLE that they are expecting upwards of 10,000 players this year. But if that's the case, why aren't the online sites pushing WSOP satellites more strongly at this point?
Old 02-23-2007, 03:22 PM

You can't even begin to judge how many people there are going to be until you know what the sites are doing with the satellites.

If whatever mechanism the sites come up with is fine with Harrahs--the way it was last year when Harrah's also didn't allow third party registrations--then the drop will be minimal or even nonexistant. If the sites pay the players directly then the drop will be larger.