Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 04:57 PM

Default FTP 5.50 FT, KTo BB. Help me, I play bad.

I think I butchered this hand top to bottom. Am I right?

5.50 on FT, 450 runners, we're at the FT with 8 left. Villain and I are around 4th and 5th with ~75k; I cover slightly.

2k/4k blinds, 500 (I think) ante. I'm in the BB with KTo, both red. Villain is UTG and minraises. All fold around to me.

I play bad #1: I call.

Villain's been on my left for about an hour and a half and has done the UTG minraise a few times, usually folding to a big 3bet from the monster stack on my right. I don't know that I saw any of these hands go to showdown, so I can't really say what he might be doing it with. Should I raise him here or fold? (Are those options both preferred over calling?)

Flop Kx[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]y[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I play bad #2: I check, intending to c/r.

My sense is Villain doesn't have a K, but will bet if I let him. But I'm not so strong I want the hand to continue, since if he has 2nd or 3rd pair or a couple clubs I give him a chance to get attached to his hand if I let him bet. Better to bet out here?

Villain bets pot, 22k.

I play bad #3: I c/r to 55k.

Too small a raise to do me any good, and I'm now way beyond pot-committed so I should have just pushed if I was going to raise, right?

Villain pushes. It's about 13k more to me in a ~142k pot, even if I'm behind I'm not behind enough to fold for that, right? I call.

What I did wrong is easy to pick out (everything, except the last call). Am I right about what I should have done instead?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: FTP 5.50 FT, KTo BB. Help me, I play bad.

I would have played just like you did, I would have prolly pushed instead of leaving 13k but I guess it doesnt make a difference
Old 02-21-2007, 05:27 PM

Full Tilt's FT structure is too shallow for any significant post flop play. I prolly call 4K into an 18K pot with any 2 unsuited broadway. Hitting TP/meh-K isn't a great outcome but you need to lead out smallish if you want to leave folding as an option or bet the pot to commit yourself.

Honestly, I *might* check and fold to a psb on the flop if I sensed any real strength from villian.

You really need to decide on the flop if you are going to take a stand or pass & play another hand. For me, this decision is rarely influenced much by the cards I hold.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:41 PM

I hate to play OOP and this hatred is magnified at the FT!!

If you've seen villian fold his min raise to big PF reraises, fire away and pick up the pot or know you are beat when he fires back. That way you can fold before things get too complicated.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:40 PM

Sure, but what am I raising that I can get away from? 20k gives him too easy a call if he's on anything but a foolish weak steal, 30k starts getting close to committing me and leaves me with a difficult decision if he pushes back.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:24 PM

If I planned on check/raising on the flop, it would have to A/I here.

As for the call in the BB, I think this is an almost must. If he is min-raising with a strong hand and re-raise he is gonna push and you lose more (b/c you logically fold). I'd have to be quite confident that he would fold to my raise to raise here and EP limps/min-raises at the FT scare me.

Folding here is absurd w/the size of the pot. You must take this flop.

You decided to get tricky with a check/raise and apparently it cost you. Oh well. I think it was a fine idea. Especially given that you thought he would bet no matter what. The only other option is to lead out on the flop.