Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 09:38 PM

Default loose passive opp, QQ on a bad flop

first hand of the match went down like this:
i raise to 60 w/ JTo he calls
flops is T93 w/ 2 diamonds. he check calls 80 in a 120 pot.
turn is Q. he check calls 160 in the 240 pot.
river is a 3. we both check and he shows 35o.
that's pretty much what i have for a read.

so i start the hand in question with 1150 and i minraise my button to 60 with QQ. he minreraises to 90. it's the 3rd time he's done this and we've only played 15 hands so basically he's reraising with any hand he "likes." i repop to 270 and he calls. the flop is a really gross TTK with two spades, he checks. you have ~850 left and the pot is 540, how do you play this flop? personally i was tempted to just shove but i don't know what the best play was.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:05 PM

Default Re: loose passive opp, QQ on a bad flop

I shove, if he has you beat, so be it. With the size of the pot and the size of your stack i just cant think of any line that lets you see if he has you and you not being committed. His check is neither here nor there. It is more interesting if he comes out firing. He either has it or he doesnt, and most of the time he doesnt.

Betting 500 on the flop and intending on putting the rest in at the first opportunity isnt so bad either if your opponant might think an open shove is fishy. But in this hand its 6 and two 3s.

Oh, and i wouldnt describe him as passive per say - he is loose and clearly quite brain dead, but i dont think he played the other hand passively so much as "bottom pair is pretty good, ill check call him down; Ooooh, trips, time to check-raise to valuetown. All aboa...damn, checked through".

Of course if he was passive in other hands so be it.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:01 PM

haha, nice narrative
Old 02-21-2007, 04:32 AM

I agree with Phill S. There's a good chance against said opp. that he could be playing a variety of different hands. Having said that, I never like min-raising even if it is HU. QQ is huge preflop HU but in a SNG, I'd rather get it all in PF or at least the Flop.

If he reraises you PF, get it over and done with...push. QQ, as you well know, plays difficult if overs flop etc.

I'd be willing to get it all in with this guy to be honest. That's the beauty of HU SNGs baby! gambol occasionally and it doesn't hurt.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:15 PM

i usually raise 3x but in this match i was experimenting with more minraising from the button and didn't want this hand to look any different from any other.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:42 AM

I don't like the shove here at all: It won't make him either fold a winner or call a loser. I think i would go for pot control and check behind. If he checks to you on the turn you bet. This second bet might make him suspicious that you're slowplaying a Ten and slow him down with an (unlikely) winner. If he bets into you big-ish on the turn, you curse and throw stuff at the wall. My 'budget' for the hand at this point would be like 300 points max. The guy sounds like a donkey, your chip position is still kinda okay so no reason to go sepuku at this point with a panicky all-in move. Reraise bigger preflop too against frequent min-(re)raisers. Goldmund