View Poll Results: What would you do with AA here
All-in 7 43.75%
Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Nah, no race. That pic was taken June or July 2005 in the Chinese district (can't remember the name) west of Hualamphong station.

I'm surprised you haven't seen that before. I've seen scenes like that a couple of times every day on bkk's streets. Virtually at every red traffic light.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:16 PM

Degen how have you never seen that? Its always like that. If you are off sukumvit near the 30's (I think 38 is the big one, maybe 52?) the motorcycles are always in a pack of about 50. Every time the light turns red they just all weave through the cars to get to the front and by the time it is green again abut 50 of them are at the front of the line and they just roar off. This doesn't seem to happen in the other parts of Bangkok. The only other place I saw it was Chiang Mai.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:41 AM

Ok, I've always wondered..... From my conceptions, it's always appeared as if the typical "farang" that visits Thailand isn't the typical person we'd look up to and admire here in the states. Often it seems to be the opposite. Now, are my conceptions way off in regards to Thailand travelers or are the Farang that they so much adore really our scummy lower class (probably taking it too far)? For instance, is it simply "Farang" in general, or do the Farang still have to show some degree of nobleness to be respected and hailed? Explanations? Ellaborations? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:34 AM

What's good. I'm going back to the motherland in late march and staying for at least a month or more. Holla at me if yall want to chill. Degen? KKF? Any 2p2ers and anybody for that matter. Just holla.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:08 AM

Degen, thanks a lot for this thread. Thailand seems like such an awesome place and I am definitely going to be visiting there soon.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I've always wondered..... From my conceptions, it's always appeared as if the typical "farang" that visits Thailand isn't the typical person we'd look up to and admire here in the states. Often it seems to be the opposite. Now, are my conceptions way off in regards to Thailand travelers or are the Farang that they so much adore really our scummy lower class (probably taking it too far)? For instance, is it simply "Farang" in general, or do the Farang still have to show some degree of nobleness to be respected and hailed? Explanations? Ellaborations? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a decent amount of truth to this generalization, and is one of the things i had reservations about moving here myself..

Just look at some of the discussion this thread.. "Holy crap, I'm a total tool in the states, and i'll get treated like Michael Jordan there just because I'm white??" The fact is, its true, u can get laid here just because an assumption that u have money, are different etc.. And why not, Thai women are beautiful. So, for the reason that people can live much better here than in their own country, and bang way hotter chicks, it will attract a different breed.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is really tough to make generalizations. Thailand has so much to offer.

A friend of mine refered to Koh Samui is "misfit island" I think it is really acurate. Everyone who comes here to live for some reason feels they fit better here than their home country.

Possible reasons to be a "misfit"

-Too ugly and anti social
-Sick of having to work your ass off in your home country and just want to relax in a beautiful place
-Like Thai culture more than your own.
-See investment opportunities in thailand that are greater than those in your country.

Theres tons more, but there are all kinds of "misfits" living here. For reasons that can be good or bad or a combination.

I've met all kinds of interesting peolpe that I really enjoy talking with that I never would have met in the US. I've also met many that I wanna punch in the face.

Most thais I've talked too like "farang" but are scared to get any closer to us than we get to them.

Many thais have a hard time telling which farang are scumbags in their own country (and every where else) and which aren't. I often have the same trouble with thais unless I really get to know them just because of the language and culture barriers.

I find many similarities between most thai people and people in rural US. Imagine French millionaires coming into a small town in kentucky. I think basically same reaction.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:50 PM

Ok, I think I understand the whole visa renewal/border run/Thai embassy thing once I'm in the country, but will I be fine if I just get the 30-day tourist visa on arrival? I'll be coming in mid-March for about 4 months. Should I try to get a 60- or 90-day visa initially?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 02-23-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Closed Thread