Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 12:17 PM

Default How many raises will you go with top boat?

2 Hands for this post. (both from 10/20 borgata)

2 weeks ago I watched my friend 3 bet from the blind with AA against 2 other opponnents. The board at the end of the hand was AQJQX. Players on river are my friend and the original preflop raiser who was in middle Position.

Action on river. My friend bets (Orig raiser was in call mode entire hand) orig raiser now raises, he 3 bets she 4 bets. He only calls! She show QJ and he wins with Aces full. I told him afterwards i would have went at least 5 bets there. His reply was that she raised as well preflop and thought she may have the QQ for quads. How many bets would you have went here before just calling?

Similar hand for me 2 days ago in same game.
I'm in the SB, 1 limper, MP player raises, CO(who is terrible) 3 bets and i decide to cap from the SB with JJ for 2 reasons. To push out the BB who is loose and maybe push out limper and or original raiser as i don't believe CO is strong. My 4 bets does nothing but push out the BB. 5 way to capped flop.

Flop is beautiful, J66. I check and so does everyone else. Turn is a 7, I bet the turn , 2 callers(Limper who cold called 30 more and the CO) 2 others fold.

River is 4.
board is J6674 no flush.
I bet, Orig limper raises CO folds, i make it 3 bets, he reraises me, i raise to make it 5 bets, he makes it 6 bets. Now i don't know this player as he sat down 3 hands prior, i stop to think if he has quad 6's, then remember commenting on my friend 2 weeks prior when he was in the same situation. I decided i would raise one more time so i raised to $140 for a total of 7 bets, once he only said call i knew i had the winner. He turned over 77, he had turned 7's full, this player turned out to be a poor player as i watched him bust out with several bad calls later.

Now to the point of this post, i know this doesn't happen often but how many times would you raise in these situations before you just called fearing the other opponent had quads?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Re: How many raises will you go with top boat?

I've usually been willing to put in 6 and call a 7th.

Not betting the flop in hand 2 is criminal. Overpairs will raise, big A's, all pairs and almost anything else will peel getting at least 21:1. Any decent thinking player will figure you for a flopped monster when you cap PF then check. That will kill much of your action.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:46 PM

It all depends on the opponent. Some I would be willing to go 10 bets with(some maybe even more with the big full), but a solid 2+2er type I would normally 4bet and call the 5th. If I were your friend on that board I would have raised again.

I had a similar hand 2 weeks ago in a 50-100 mixed game against a solid player.

He raised preflop, one coldcaller and I called 22 out of BB.
Flop came 223 two hearts (not a bad flop for me)

I checked he bet, MP called, I raised, he 3bet MP folded and I called.

Turn 9 Board now 2239 with 2hearts, I donked, he raised, I 3bet, he 4towned, I 5bet, he 6bet, I 7 bet, he 8 bet, I 9 bet and he finally just called and called the river as well.

After the hand I wondered to myself why the hell he ever 6 bet in the first place, and the 8 bet is crazy vs me in this spot. Some people stop thinking about what an opponent can have and for some reason discount the possiblity of quads.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:54 PM

i've seen so many folks bet most flops but then check on some weird looking board. then when the flop checks around, get upset when they bet into 6 ppl on the turn and then everyone folds.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:12 PM

Barry, agreed after reading your post i should have bet the flop, i went the route of hoping somebody would pick up some draw on the turn or make an overpair but i think you are right, with the pot that big, many people will peel a card anyway with that size pot already, including the guy who hit his 7, plus betting that flop what not make them think i flopped jacks full.
"Any decent thinking player will figure you for a flopped monster when you cap PF then check." You are very correct in this regard luckily the guy hit his 7 and also the two i was in the hand with on the turn were not what i would call "decent thinking players"
Old 02-21-2007, 01:29 PM

In hand 1, your friend has a point especially if the other player was solid & respected at the table or he had a read on her.

In hand 2, I wouldn't get crazy with the betting either because you don't know this player. He could have 66 in the hole as well as 77. But I wouldn't mind putting in 5 bets though.

In both of these hands, I wouldn't put over 5 raises in because you/your friend don't have the nuts. You have to ask yourself why are they continuing to raise me? It might be different if it was someone you regularly play with & you knew their tendencies.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:21 PM

In my B&M experience I've gone to five once with top full house and been good. All other times (maybe 10-12), I've been shown quads.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:13 PM

I'm usually going somewhere between 5-7(calling 8th), depending on my read of opponents.

In hand 2, please bet the flop. This pot is huge, people will peel with all sorts of nonsense and you're not giving anyone a chance to raise you with overpairs. You probably gave up something like 1.5-2 BB by not betting here.

Also, the cap/ check just smells like a total monster.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've usually been willing to put in 6 and call a 7th.

Not betting the flop in hand 2 is criminal. Overpairs will raise, big A's, all pairs and almost anything else will peel getting at least 21:1. Any decent thinking player will figure you for a flopped monster when you cap PF then check. That will kill much of your action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of the tight new kid I played against the other day. He 3 bets my open raise from the HJ out of the blind, rags hit and he checks to me. Kinda odd. I laugh and check behind saying sarcastically, 'oh, ok...' and smile at him.

I fold the turn for a bet and he shows me AA.

b