Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Why do I keep losing connection to Full Tilt? PLEASE HELP

I apologize if this is not the proper forum (and if there is an alternative forum that would be better suited for this query, please advise).

Anyway, I just purchased a new laptop. I got the Gateway MT6821. It has the Core 2 Duo Processor and 2 gigs or RAM. I tried to explain to the people helping me that I run pretty large programs simultaneous (6 poker tables, poker tracker, and gametime+), and I needed a machine that could easily handle such largue computer usage/multi-tasking. Anyway, it was recommended that I get the Core 2 Duo and the 2 gigs or RAM... hence my purchase.

To back-track a bit, my previous computer was a Dell Inspiron (about 5 years old) - and recently, it started freezing up or, in reality, my computer would lose connection to Full Tilt Poker (about once every ten minutes, my tables would freeze, and then i'd get that great pop-up message that Full Tilt was "connecting"). B/c I was using a 5 year old machine, and my PT database was getting massive, I figured my computer was simply over-whelmed - causing my computer to not function properly (possibly causing it to lose internet connection for a few seconds).

Much to my dismay, I brought home my brand new laptop today... only to find that (though less often) i would lose "connection" to FullTilt. I will add that I am on a wireless network (using Comcast high-speed cable). However, even when I am "disconnected" from FT, my computer reads that I a receiving "very good" or "excellent" signal strength. So I don't think (though I'm not positive) that it is the wireless network that it is causing it. For instance, I surfed the web for hours since playing - and never did a web page not load due to lack of connection.

In a nutshell, would anyone know why I'm having these FT connection issues. Is it just the fact that too many programs are being run at once (in which case, is my computer just not good enough?). Again, I generally play 6 tables, and have PT and GT+ all simultaneously running. And for whatever reason, I cannot stay connected for an entire session... and let me tell you, there is NO worse feeling that seeing your table freeze up, when u've flopped a set and your opponent is check-raising you. Please help.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Why do I keep losing connection to Full Tilt? PLEASE HELP

I would bet that you are running windows XP, which has a feature of looking for "better" wireless networks from time to time. You should make sure your network is at the top of the list of preferred wireless networks and, if that doesn't work, go to the control panel, find "Administrative tools", find "Services", and stop "Wireless Zero Config". Everyone who upgrades to XP goes through this annoyance....or just is convinced that something is broken.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:11 AM

poopin,

It's the router... I'm dealing with your exact problem. Actually came to the computer forum to see if I could get some help. I frequently get disconnected from PS and I 1-tabling. I have access to two routers at two different locations... one disconnects me from PS and the other doesn't, despite having Excellent signal. I'm trying to figure out if there is some feature in the router that is causing these disconnects.

Oh and to add, I just attempted disabling the Wireless Zero Config and still have issues.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:26 AM

McGuinness - thanks for the suggestion. I will note, however, that my new machine has Windows Vista (and its my first time using it - I'm learning new things every hour). Do you think Vista might have this wireless config. problem as well? I'll try and look the administrative options you are suggestion.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:41 AM

It could be the router, but that's nowhere near as common as the problem being with Windows itself. I've seen this happen here on one machine (usually a visitor's) but not another (i.e., mine), and we go through the configuration dance to try to solve it. Sometimes I think it's the drivers for the wireless card, or the third party configuration tools -- I had to get rid of all the vendor specific wireless configuration stuff on one laptop, as it seemed to clash with Windows XP.

All I can say is that it's never turned out to be an actual hardware problem, but it's always a real puzzler.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:06 PM

I found what was going on with my router and PS. My router has this TurboG feature on... actually, I e-mailed PS and they were the ones that helped me get this working! Awesome. Anyway, here's what the e-mail had:

[ QUOTE ]
There is one solution that may be of help. Some "Super-G" or "Super-G
Turbo" routers (such as the DLink DI-624+ and others) have a problem
running in Turbo mode. Apparently D-Link uses “channel hopping” to
bond multiple channels in support of this feature, but it is highly
susceptible to interference from other 2.4GHz wireless networks and
devices. Turning off the channel hopping feature (or the Super-
G/Super-G Turbo mode) of such devices will turn them into a standard
802.11g wireless device and may make them more stable. Please contact
your router vendor or router documentation for more assistance with
turning off these features of your router.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe your router has something similar? Also, if your router doesn't have the feature, maybe trying to change the channel from 1 to 6 or 11 might work as you might have some interference from neighboring wireless networks.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:46 PM

fwiw I get d/c from full tilt a lot not sure why esp considering I can remain on aim the entire time..