Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 06:34 AM

Default Reraising all-in when you\'re likely to be called in STTs?

Hi,

Newb question. I've noticed that when playing turbo sngs after level 5 (or sometimes even level 4) any reraise is likely to be called.

Given that STTs are all about surviving into the money, at what point does it become 'correct' to reraise with a decent but not great hand (like 77, AJ for example) if you think there is a good chance of being called and having to race?

I currently tend to avoid reraising altogether until my M drops below 5 in an effort to avoid coin flips until I'm in the money, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on too many +EV situations by doing so. Should I be doing this earlier, say when my M drops below 10 (Harrington's Orange Zone)?

My guess is that the answer is "it depends on what hands your opponent will raise with from that position after N limpers", in which case can someone tell me how I can calculate whether such a play is +EV given an opponent's assumed raising range? Or should I just avoid coinflips altogether until I make the money?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Reraising all-in when you\'re likely to be called in STTs?

read the sticky. become familiar with ICM. M is useless in STTs.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:19 AM

If you are, for whatever reason, 100% sure your reraise will be called then do the math as if you were the one calling an all-in... if it is +ev then reraise all in.

All about ICM... try a search, here and on Google.

GL, Mark
Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 AM

nom,

"can someone tell me how I can calculate whether such a play is +EV given an opponent's assumed raising range?"

As others have said, we use ICM for this. You can find out more about that in the FAQ. In addition, there are some tools to assist you making ICM calculations in the Other Links thread, SNGWiz and SNGPT being the 2 most popular. These threads are stickied at the top of the forum.

I believe that SNGWiz can calculate EV of a re-raise. With SNGPT you'll have to use the method Hollandicus described (treat a reraise as calling an all-in if you're sure the re-raise will be called).

Please post specific hands that give you trouble. I'm locking this thread however since it's really too vaugue of a question to generate any useful discussion. Every hand is a different situation and it would be impossible to emcompass every situation in one post or thread.

In general, a few things to consider:
- You should be more willing to go all-in yourself than call an all-in.
- You should be more willing to get all-in with a player if you have more chips than that player.
- You should be more willing to get your chips in in what could be a marginal spot if you have a short stack.

But each of those points are covered by ICM so just try to learn about that and if you can, download one of the programs and practice with it.
Closed Thread