Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Can\'t Seem to Cut It - Newbie

Preflop, raise to .30 at least. On the flop, bet at least 75% of the pot. I like to check behind this turn (though this may be misguided), and I'm calling a PSB on the river hoping he doesn't have a 3.

Overall your line isn't terrible until your river reraise, which is too small to have folding equity. If you want him to fold you should raise to at least $6, but as CaptUnlucky mentioned, you're almost always better off saving that extra $4.6 and just calling his $1.4.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:51 AM

I can't get past open limping on the button. You have a suited ace with position on both the blinds. Why pay 10c to let them see a free flop with any two cards?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:54 AM

forgot to add: definitely watch the videos available in the uSNL and SSNL fora.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:10 AM

Welcome to the forums, hope you will like it here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I will not try to give any advice here, except that you should post troublesome hands and read post here.

And no I must say, that I mean no offence, but there are no really good players at 10NL, one in a while you might might someone from these forums, but they are very rarely there for long. I anybody tries to tell you differently, it is untrue.

So basically if you can't beat 10NL, you aren't very good either. But beware .... poker contains a lot of swings and variance. 10.000 hands is nothing ... 25.000 is also not that much, so keeping on playing might be the cure.

There is also a forum here dedicated solely to sng's, you might want to also visit that ... unlike here, the tone can be harsh there, but keep an open mind and take no offence. SNG play is in many way unique compared so many other forms of poker.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:04 AM

The videos really help, I wish there were more on here.

Video thread:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...page=0&vc=1

Watch all of I_STRONG's videos, even though only one is uNL, nearly all of the concepts he applies are valid at our limits too.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:16 AM

Beaten to posting a link to the video thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2007, 05:34 AM

I think that hand is a good example of why you might be finding it hard.

You failed to raise PF so let it weak hands for cheap. You don't bet enough on the flop giving opponents odds to call (I think it's usually correct to call 3:1 with a draw as you can make it up when you hit). Turn is OK. When villain donks the river you should just call - looks like he just hit his draw but you can't be sure. You raising and calling his AI totally justified his drawing.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:35 AM

I don't want to repeat the advice the others gave, just one more point:

[ QUOTE ]
Playing in a very tight pre-flop game here. I'm hunting for a flush with a limp here.
(...)

Hit TPTK - bet for information as to what my opponent is thinking here.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you limp for flush value you have to fold if you don't hit your flush. You can't formulate a plan pre-flop and then on the flop suddenly change it. If you want to play a suited ace for flush value as well as for TP value then you should include that in your pre-flop plan. When you go back and correct your thought to

[ QUOTE ]
I'm hunting for a flush or top pair with a limp here.

[/ QUOTE ]
it becomes much more apparent that this is just wrong.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:44 AM

I realize, and don't take offense to the fact that I'm not a very strong player as of now. I've watched all of I_STRONG's videos and I think I enjoy his and Boosted J's more than most. As for the hand I posted, the guy turned over 7-3o for the straight, something I should have predicted.

I think I lack a lot of experience and judgment that should flesh out in the next month or so (given my stakes).

Thanks guys!