Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 01:53 AM

Default KK Hand OOP on Tough Board

Hey guys, I haven't posted here in a while, but here's a hand that had me stumped.

Villian is a TAG player, seemingly straight-forward. Earlier I raised AK and villian called and c/r me on a KQ7ds board. I folded because I figured it was either KQ or 77, and less likely a flush draw.

This hand had me really puzzled. I'd been staying in line at the table due to some overly loose fish at other seats.

The flop call had to mean something, although I was willing to allow that he was calling somewhat lighter than a TAG would (seemed willing to see flops now and then). The flop call was more troubling (bet more)? I bet less because I was OOP and I figured it would fold most hands I beat anyway. No need to pump up the pot OOP when a smaller bet would accomplish the same thing. In retrospect, I didn't realize the bet was as small as it was. I was thinking something around 2/3. If the analysis is 'impossible' because the 'hand would have played completely different', feel free to assume I bet more and was still called.

The turn froze me and I would like ideas on how to proceed. My OOP game needs work.

Thanks

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $8</font>, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $28</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($58, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $35</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($128, 2 players)
Hero???
Old 02-21-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Re: KK Hand OOP on Tough Board

Thinking that the 9 helped your opponent is contrary to your read on him. A straightforward TAG is generally not going to float for a gutshot in a large re-raised pot. If he does, he's terrible.

Bet near the pot, call a shove assuming reasonable stacks. If he has a set, oh well.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:00 AM

cr ai or bet/call.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:05 AM

I probably bet call here b/c i really would hate to give a free card
Old 02-21-2007, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cr ai or bet/call.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^

You cant be afraid of a straight here, no hand that is calling our bet PF can possibly have a straight here, and if he does, rebuy and get your money + more back from the donk.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably bet call here b/c i really would hate to give a free card

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont even have to say anything, they do it for me!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:14 AM

Ok, seems like an easy consensus, which is fine. I pussed out and checked. Opponent bet 1/2, which would have committed me to a PSB all-in on river, so I folded. Boooooo. He then told me he had JJ.

If there are other parts of the hand you may disagree with (not that much else), feel free. Otherwise thanks.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:48 AM

I read the hand and put him on an overpair of JJ or QQ, -before reading your answer. (If you are scared about the amount of money you are playing for don't bet so much preflop-this would be weak but would have saved you a lot of chips.) A straight is extremely rare for UTG TAG here, 2 pair just as rare, trips - always possible. Did you put him on trips? I was looking over Pocker tracker, and the amount I lose to trips is not that significant because I can release many hands. But this is not one of them.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I read the hand and put him on an overpair of JJ or QQ, -before reading your answer. (If you are scared about the amount of money you are playing for don't bet so much preflop-this would be weak but would have saved you a lot of chips.) A straight is extremely rare for UTG TAG here, 2 pair just as rare, trips - always possible. Did you put him on trips? I was looking over Pocker tracker, and the amount I lose to trips is not that significant because I can release many hands. But this is not one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, in this instance my weak/tight read was telling me 88-TT was very likely. It's not scared money, I just have a habit of finding bad folds every now and then so it's good to come here and get set straight.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:50 AM

Since Villian seems like a floaty player and he's pushed you around before I like the crai plan. You'd definitely be repping AA/KK in that case.