Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" Poker After Dark thread - Week 7

I was wondering if anyone knew what sort of compensation the players get, other than air time? While the show makes a big deal out of the "20K that each person puts up", I'm guessing (possibly incorrectly) that there is at least some sort of compensation.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:06 AM

Gus says to Ted: good play profbackwards :P
Old 02-20-2007, 10:34 AM

The commentator is horrible. It makes my head explode to think that NBC is actually paying him to commentate this show.

Not this show specifically but on other episodes he tries to chime in with unwitty, corny one liners. He adds no actual insight. Part of the show's concept is to let the players talk freely but when one of the players starts an interesting story the commentator talks over him with useless dribble. Perfect timing to try and display your incompetent analysis/color commentary.

I never thought that a tv commentator could infuriate me but this one actually did it. I'm even more infuriated by the fact that I'm infuriated by a totally inept commentator showing my lack of any social life.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Gus raises from CO with AJo. Folds to Chris who calls with 44.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gus actually had JTs, not AJo. That added in even more hands he couldn't beat.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The commentator is horrible. It makes my head explode to think that NBC is actually paying him to commentate this show.

Not this show specifically but on other episodes he tries to chime in with unwitty, corny one liners. He adds no actual insight. Part of the show's concept is to let the players talk freely but when one of the players starts an interesting story the commentator talks over him with useless dribble. Perfect timing to try and display your incompetent analysis/color commentary.

I never thought that a tv commentator could infuriate me but this one actually did it. I'm even more infuriated by the fact that I'm infuriated by a totally inept commentator showing my lack of any social life.

[/ QUOTE ]

The commentator is Oliver Nejad, perhaps the best poker commentator there is right now. He's also one of the top online short-handed limit players in the world. He plays as high as 300-600 and does very well. He has scaled back his playing lately as he likes commentating and is concentrating on that. I'd tell you who he is (his online name is well-known) but I know he doesn't want to be outed.

sorry you don't like him, but I think he's awesome.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The commentator is Oliver Nejad, perhaps the best poker commentator there is right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make me laugh. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Table Talk

This week, there seems to be excessive table talk. It seems that every hand, players not in the hand are putting the players in the hand on hands, goading the players as they think, and influencing the action way too much. No one at the table has objected yet, but isn't it still poor sportsmanship? Is Phil Hellmuth the only top player that would object to this much table talk?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Table Talk

god I love Jesus. He plays like exactly perfect and he is like the least readable person ever.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Table Talk

[ QUOTE ]
This week, there seems to be excessive table talk. It seems that every hand, players not in the hand are putting the players in the hand on hands, goading the players as they think, and influencing the action way too much. No one at the table has objected yet, but isn't it still poor sportsmanship? Is Phil Hellmuth the only top player that would object to this much table talk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember, this isn't a regular poker tournament; its a made-for-TV entertainment vehicle. Therefore, table banter is to be expected and encouraged. I for one found it hilarious when Ted Forrest kept going back and forth between Jesus and Sammy on the JJ vs. AKs hand, encouraging each player not to let the other guy bully him off the pot.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:39 AM

Default First TONY G IS A LIAR post!

That is all.

DN