Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 07:54 PM

Default quick and dirty bottom-set theory

So often, people ask questions about bottom-set or other medium-strength hands on draw heavy boards facing a lot of action that go something like this:

"Board Qh Th 6c, I have 66xx and get re-raised, should I fold or push?"

And they get answers like:

"With a board like that, he has some kind of big wrap+flush draw a lot, so yeah get it in."

Now, I'm not saying it's necessarily wrong to push bottom set hard against this kind of board, but he cannot possibly have a big draw often enough to make it worth the times he has an overset, unless there is some other part of his range that you are absolutely crushing. So the most crucial question you should be asking yourself in this kind of spot isn't, "Could he be pushing a big draw?" but, "Could he be pushing 2 pair"?
Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: quick and dirty bottom-set theory

dont' educate teh fish please.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, and the irony is that the only reason i post this [censored], contributing ever-so-slightly to the demise of my poker career, is that I'm bored of doing all this stupid work so I can graduate and take a $180k/yr job that I don't really want -- because I'd rather be playing poker.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:17 PM

I think the real quick and dirty answer is jam flopped sets. Which is advice so accurate online that it barely needs thinking about. One problem, which is a function of pot limit which sometimes traps people, is that unlike say their NLHE bretheren, PLOers don't think about stacks they just think about that last bet. But the only reason they got to the last bet was becuase they had put in too much action prior. Bottom set where a set can be the nuts is probably unpassable for 50BB and hard to pass for 100. But for 1000...you have problems.

gl

bdd
Old 02-20-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, and the irony is that the only reason i post this [censored], contributing ever-so-slightly to the demise of my poker career, is that I'm bored of doing all this stupid work so I can graduate and take a $180k/yr job that I don't really want -- because I'd rather be playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

DOnt' say that. I am goign to law school in 2007.

EDIT: I meant to say 2008
Old 02-21-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DOnt' say that. I am goign to law school in 2007.

EDIT: I meant to say 2008

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh, me too. Can you guys seriously even find a decent game the last month or so though? I have found it disastrously dry.

As for the question at hand, I think bottom set is too situation dependent...I often release it. Pete's right, if he can't have anything but another set or a good draw....you are basically either slightly ahead or way behind, yes? 60/40 + 10/90 doesn't add up favorably for you.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:27 AM

Personally, I like pretending I got a drawing hand when I got bottom set and bluff accordingly... and stack off if I make my real draw (to quads)