Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 AM

Default series 7 possible? what about cfa license

currently freshman at college.. thinking about trying to take one by junior year of school. i know cfa is 3 year test but am i even allowed to take it?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:06 AM

Default Re: series 7 possible? what about cfa license

you need to be sponsored by a NASD member firm to take the series 7.

scope out some info here:
http://www.investopedia.com/professi...7/260304_1.asp
Old 02-21-2007, 12:39 PM

For your purposes, you need to be in the final year of your bachelor's degree program to become a candidate. It's a beast of a test and also expensive if you total books and fees, but it's well regarded in investment management and research circles.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
currently freshman at college.. thinking about trying to take one by junior year of school. i know cfa is 3 year test but am i even allowed to take it?

[/ QUOTE ]

spend time on the aimr website. I did the CFA, it takes 3 years minimum and ppl that pass 3 in a row in three years are like 10% or so.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:42 PM

All three of the CFA tests can be done in 1.5 yrs if you passed all 3 in a row which I'm doing right now. I just passed level 1 in this past December and taking my level II in June 2 and if I pass that I will be taking the level 3 the following June.

It's a big committment to study for the CFA especially since my degree was in Engineering. It might be easier if are in finance relating degree but it still takes discipline to do it.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:49 PM

out of curiousity, what is your reason for taking the CFA? Is it to learn stuff, to make a career switch, for business school or what? Also, what kind of (wall) street cred does this designation afford?

Also, are you studying for this with a full time job? How much time/wk do you study for it?
Old 02-21-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All three of the CFA tests can be done in 1.5 yrs if you passed all 3 in a row which I'm doing right now. I just passed level 1 in this past December and taking my level II in June 2 and if I pass that I will be taking the level 3 the following June.

It's a big committment to study for the CFA especially since my degree was in Engineering. It might be easier if are in finance relating degree but it still takes discipline to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

dang, thats right, they now offer level I and II twice per year i think, maybe all three, that didnt used to be the case. This would be doable but a lot of hard work.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
out of curiousity, what is your reason for taking the CFA? Is it to learn stuff, to make a career switch, for business school or what? Also, what kind of (wall) street cred does this designation afford?

Also, are you studying for this with a full time job? How much time/wk do you study for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to make a career switch from engineering to finance so that's why I'm taking the CFA. Although it's a respected designation, I don't think it offer that much Wall Street cred. I'm still having a hard time trying to get an research analyst/associate position. I do have an interview this Friday for a business analyst position though(cross my fingers).

Yes, I studied for it with a full time job as a software engineer. I studied somewhere probably around the 250 hours they recommend to study for each level during the 4 months that I studied. This is counting the 2 weeks of vacation I took off from my job to study right before exam. I don't have much of a life [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 02-22-2007, 03:06 AM

Stox: they offer level 1 twice a year but level 2 and 3 are still annually.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:13 PM

well good for you. Did you tell anyone at work you took time off to take the CFA? You were willing to give up like a year's worth of vacation for this? Could one get away with just studying the weekend before? When do you get your results?