Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Fold AKo to an open gross-overbet?

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing here. If he is a smart player then he will realize the size of the bet essentially does not matter.

You have 12K - 15 BBs. So even a 4-5 BB bet means he is calling any push from any of the other players including you if he has a hand he actually "should" be raising with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. If he raises to 3200 or 4000, that's where my AK has folding equity, because if I push over the top, he can fold and still have 11,000. Calling and losing leaves him with only 3,000.

The same player, several hands before this, raised to about 3600, was RRAI by the BB in the above hand, and folded, showing JJ.

A couple hands after that, Villain raised from UTG, to 3200, and I came over the top AI with AA, he folded, showing 77.

So, I think the size of the bet does matter. His bet leaves me with no power in the hand. I can either call or fold.

That being said, I agree that this is a call. I have a strong hand that is WA/SB most of his range, and will be seeing all five cards.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The same player, several hands before this, raised to about 3600, was RRAI by the BB in the above hand, and folded, showing JJ.

A couple hands after that, Villain raised from UTG, to 3200, and I came over the top AI with AA, he folded, showing 77.

[/ QUOTE ]

This explains his odd bet, he is probably a little tired of people coming over the top and costing him chips. With this bet he is saying 'I'm not folding so don't try to reraise/steal'

Your hand is just too good to fold at a 4 handed low M table. Shove, see all 5 cards. In the long run you will make more $ by shoving.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at raising 4.5xBB and then folding JJ to a shove getting 2-1 to call, 4-handed no less. this is "the best player at the table?" pls tell me you pwned this donk and won.

(you didn't give stack sizes, blinds etc. in the JJ hand but i'm assuming since it was only a few hands before they are relatively the same)
Old 02-20-2007, 10:08 PM

I like a fold. He has a mid pocket pair and has no idea how to play on the flop.

This player sucks and you will find better spots to get your money in against him
Old 02-20-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a fold. He has a mid pocket pair and has no idea how to play on the flop.

This player sucks and you will find better spots to get your money in against him

[/ QUOTE ]

Like when? I get the vibe that M's are fairly low, effective M's are even lower, and that they don't have forever. I don't see a better spot than AK here.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:13 PM

i will gamble im best here more often than you think as At worst you are 46% AT WORST! you are already in the money HE IS ROBBING YOU BLIND! you must make these calls to win tourneys! grow a pair
Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 PM

Also, I don't see how a mid pair is the most likely spot, I see anything from that up to QQ, and A9+. I agree he likely has no post-flop accumen, but 4-handed and not deep stacked, it's not the time to outplay him postflop.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:37 PM

If I thought that A9+ was in his range this would be an easy push.

I do not see this overbet as anything but a midpair that is scared to play postflop.

While it is true that we need to open up when our M is low that does not mean that we should call off our chips when we don't believe that we have sufficient equity in the pot.

Our M is 10 at a four handed table, we will have plenty opportunities to steal and resteal from players like UTG who are most likely scared postflop players.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 PM

tricky, fearless LAG's probably don't open for 11x BB, lol....right?