Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Give up on river? Crappy 3 barrel?

No reads on villian as I have been sitting one orbit. Seems kinda dope though, as he cold called a raise with K9o, hit a 9 on an ace high board, and took it to showdown. The SB is the reason we're here, but as you can see he folds early (for him).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($237.50)
MP ($364.50)
Hero ($204.85)
Button ($322.65)
SB ($186)
BB ($225.55)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $7, BB calls $6.

Flop: ($24) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, SB folds, BB calls $20.

Turn: ($64) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $60</font>, BB thinks about 8 seconds and calls $60.

River: ($184) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero pushes 118 and villian has about 132 behind ...

Final Pot: $184
Old 02-20-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Give up on river? Crappy 3 barrel?

I'm not sure I like any of these barrels. Flop bet is kinda sketchy unless you have the plan to two barrel alot. Turn bet size is too big unless you are always a pot/pot guy. $50 has same effect (and is probably more effective as it makes a river 3rd barrel bigger and theoretically harder to call). Turn's probably spew. 3rd barrel, in for a penny I suppose.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:24 PM

lol i dont think hes going to fold a 9 here.

bet less on turn. river is spew imo.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol i dont think hes going to fold a 9 here.

bet less on turn. river is spew imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I don't think he *has* a 9 here. He'd be raising me on the turn, without question. He's not really a passive donkey (he bet out with his K9). He's almost totally unknown to me, and I have to assume an unknown would show some aggression with a 9 here.

I also think he shoves the river with a flush or a made boat (can't risk the check behind and wants a call from a flush, respectively).

When he was thinking on the turn I was trying to put him on a hand if he just called. I couldn't, other than a low PP that he wasn't willing to give up on, or AK/Q.

Once he checks the river, I thought the flush card helped my FE a lot.

That said, I hated every second of this hand while it was happening, even though at the time of each barrel I had a good reason:

Barrel 1: Standard CB will fold most players out here.

Barrel 2: Would have expected a flop raise or a turn lead if he has a 9. I might be ahead of a flush draw here, and the 9, once he checks, is a good bet card (and if I am raised I can safely fold).

Barrel 3: I am almost certainly behind a bigger ace or a PP. The pot is large, and his check on a scare card (and the most realistic draw) indicates decent FE. I have enough money so that my bet is more than half the pot, and it is substantial enough to get almost anything but a flush, 9, or big PP to fold, and I have to believe I would have seen some aggression from those hands earlier.

Once again, however, I hated this hand and how I played it, on the whole. The fact that I had all these reasons to keep firing made me a little ill. It felt highly counterintuitive.