Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 AM

Default ($16) - AK in SB facing UTG raise

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t2185)
SB (t3010)
Hero (t2375)
UTG (t3910)
MP (t2020)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero ?

Should I push or just call here? I think a push is better because I'm OOP and will have the pot taken away from me a lot if an A or K doesn't flop.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: ($16) - AK in SB facing UTG raise

I usually just call with your stack but a push can't be bad, I think.

If I was just a little shorter, I'd push.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:58 AM

cash games may have gone to my head a bit and i may be an aggro donk now but this looks like a good spot for a go and go (make it like 900 and push any flop) if the raiser is aggressive enough. you'll take it down preflop a lot and even more on the flop as he will fold a lot of small and medium pairs if any overcards hit.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:49 AM

Is a "go and go" used often in cash games?

I can say if I'm deep enough in a STT or MTT I'll raise OOP and then lead any flop but I'll normally shove this as opposed to "go and go" in a STT. How often does everyone use this play in STTs?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:16 AM

I don't mind just to call here. Is that bad?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:29 AM

CA,

I shove. Good hand, likes to see all 5 cards, and you have fold equity. I'm not a huge fan of 'calling to see a flop' just because I hate having to put chips in then check/fold the flop the majority of the time. I feel like we're sort of wasting very strong hand.

kev,

Yeah, but usually the 2nd 'go' isn't all-in since you have 100+ BBs.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CA,

I shove. Good hand, likes to see all 5 cards, and you have fold equity. I'm not a huge fan of 'calling to see a flop' just because I hate having to put chips in then check/fold the flop the majority of the time. I feel like we're sort of wasting very strong hand.

kev,

Yeah, but usually the 2nd 'go' isn't all-in since you have 100+ BBs.

[/ QUOTE ]

wiggs,

you are awesome (edited for content), but i agree with what youve said. touche. also, the stop or go and go doesnt have to be all in, but i figure you knew this, just clarifying for others.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:31 AM

You've got over 20 BB, villain has you covered by about 2 to 1. There's still plenty of time to find spots without having to decipher what an UTG raise might possibly mean. Your fold equity really depends on the range of hands he's opening with. Sure he could be opening with AJ or some medium pocket pair that he's not willing to call an all-in with, but he could just as well be doing it with AA, KK, QQ, JJ. And your push with 20 BB really does scream weakness. I myself classify a person who pushes 20 BB oop as doing the same thing with 55's. Doesn't want to see a flop, is scared to see a flop, so just pushes out of fear. Would you do the same thing with aces?

I say shoving is spew. Too much risk for too little gain. Call is better than push. Raise is better than call though. I'd raise to about 900. If he pushes, I go along. Now you got pot odds. If he calls, I'm pushing any flop, hopefully making him fear a face card if one comes. If the flop comes rags and he calls with 99's or something, then he would have called your preflop push anyway, so you got the same result.

I just think a preflop push has the least fold equity. Preflop raise has ok fold equity. Preflop raise and flop push has most fold equity.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:52 AM

@nawhead i like your point ov view, but i think, its only correct, if the UTG raiser is a thinking TAG.

I see enough donks on the 16$ turbos raising 5-handed UTG with A8+,KT+,66+, (and calling with AJ+, KQ, 99+) which would make a push in that spot very profitable.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:02 PM

Interesting hand. The OP hasn't given any reads. I think this is fairly crucial. Has the guy been a bit laggy or rockier than Brighton Beach?

Personally I think I'd prefer the stop and go, but reads would help me with this decision.